Below is the Wikimedia UK monthly report for the period 1st to 31st January 2014. If you want to keep up with the chapter's activities as they happen, please subscribe to our blog, join a UK mailing list, and/or follow us on Twitter. If you have any questions or comments, please drop us a line on this report's talk page.
- 1 Program activities
- 1.1 Community
- 1.2 GLAM activities
- 1.3 Education and expert outreach
- 1.4 Technology
- 1.5 Other activities
- 1.6 UK press coverage (and coverage of UK projects & activities)
- 1.7 Blog posts this month
- 1.8 Upcoming activities in January and February
- 2 Administrative activities
Project grants outcome
Andy Mabbett led a very successful event at the BBC uploading sound files.
- London Zoo
John Cummings led an editathon at London Zoo addressing the gender gap by creating articles on Women in Zoology.
- Royal Society
John Byrne started his residence at the Royal Society with several training sessions for Royal Society staff, and internal meetings with various departments. More details of past and future activity at User:Wiki at Royal Society John and his January Report
Ally Crockford ran an Anybody but Burns editathon at the National Library of Scotland, supported by the Scottish Poetry Library, to remind people that Scotland has more than one great poet. The results have been posted on the events page, and we are happy to report that despite the miserable weather, we had thirteen participants who created five new articles and improved twelve more.
Pat Hadley our Wikipedian in Residence at York Museums trust reports that Andy Woods, curator of numismatics has provided 110 images of 54 coins from the Middleham Hoard. Now they are uploaded Pat hopes to work with user:Wehwalt and user:Johnbod to create an article on the hoard itself through AFC and use the coins to illustrate further articles. Pat has made contact with WikiProjects, Archaeology, and Yorkshire.
Halfcrown of en:Charles I of England. Dated: 1643-1644
Eight Reales of EN:Philip IV of Spain. Dated: 1621-1655
Sixpence of EN:Elizabeth I of England. Dated: 1575
The Wellcome trust announced the release of 100,000 images under an open licence
Education and expert outreach
- Coleg Cymraeg advertises for a Wikipedian in residence
This is one of the first full time Wikimedians in Residence world-wide who will be employed by a university.
- 2014 Activity Planning
January has been a time of intensive activity planning, with 6 or 7 events taking place during the months of February and March. See 2014 Activity Plan for University and Education Outreach
- Scholarship for EduWiki in Serbia
Wikimedia Serbia is organising a two-day event in March called EduWiki following on the model established by WMUK. Brian Kelly is attending this event in Belgrade, through a WMUK schoarship organised in January. Details here.
- Wikimedia Ambassador at Jisc
Dr Martin Poulter continues as Wikimedia Ambassador with Jisc. See his 5th report covering January 2014.
- Future of Education at Wikimania 2014
Preliminary planning for a fringe/hack event ahead of Wikimania (21-22 June) is underway. WMUK is participating in this through Stuart Prior and Toni Sant but other UK-based Wikimedians are also involved. Details here.
EduWiki Conference 2014
Preliminary planning for EduWiki 2014 has started. See plans for EduWiki 2014.
A Training Coordinator has been appointed for Wales, paid for by a Welsh Government grant.
Swansea Library hosted a successful Hackathon, the first of it's kind in Wales, with wiki editing skills training for new users.
The classification of microgrants & macrogrants have been combined into a general project grants. One new project grant application have been started this month, with a proposal to spend three days photographing to bring en:List of public art in the City of Westminster to feature list status on the English Wikipedia.
Information about how to submit a project grant application of your own, are at Project grants/Applications.
UK press coverage (and coverage of UK projects & activities)
- Telegraph: Revealed - 2013's top 20 viewed articles on Wikipedia
- Guardian: Wikipedia - Breaking Bad leads TV dramas in top pages list
- RTE - Breaking Bad tops Wikipedia TV searches list
- Digital Trends - TV, movies and celebs: Wikipedia's top searches of 2013
- Third Sector - Cancer Research UK advertises for 'wikipedian in residence'
- Cancer Research UK - We’ve joined forces with Wikipedia to improve cancer information
- Civil Society - CRUK to recruit a Wikipedian in Residence
- Charity Digital News - Cancer Research UK develops in-house Wikipedian role for cancer information
- British Journal of Healthcare Computing - Cancer Research UK to employ its own Wikipedia contributor
- The Next Web - Wikipedia adding celebrity voices to wiki pages to preserve them for future generations
- Sondika Internet - Wikipedia's Adding Voice Recordings to Famous People's Biographies
- sairah.net - Wikipedia’s Adding Voice Recordings to Famous People’s Biographies
- Aaress info media - Wikipedia's Adding Voice Recordings to Famous People's Biographies
- Soviders tech - Wikipedia adding celebrity voices to wiki pages to preserve them for future generations
- Techauntie.com - Wikipedia adding celebrity voices to wiki pages to preserve them for future generations
- Inethonduras.com Wikipedia adding celebrity voices to wiki pages to preserve them for future generations
- Gizmodo.com.au - Wikipedia's Adding Voice Recordings To Famous People's Biographies
- techlomedia.in - WikiVIP adds voice samples of celebrities in Wikipedia articles
- wwwhatsnew.com - WikiVIP, nuevo proyecto de la Wikipedia para obtener clips de audio con voces de celebridades
- Endlessness Technology - Wikipedia’s adding voice recordings to famous people’s biographies
- chicabinaria.com - #Wikipedia Añade Voces de Celebridades a las Páginas Wiki Para Preservarlos Para el Futuro
- amazoncompraronline.com - Proyecto WikiVIP: Wikipedia comienza a incorporar voces de celebridades
- Webonomia.com - Proyecto WikiVIP: Wikipedia comienza a incorporar voces de celebridades
- paginamendocinas.com.ar - Proyecto WikiVIP: Wikipedia comienza a incorporar voces de celebridades
- Digitaltrends.com - Wikipedia adding voice recordings to famous people’s pages
- Eju.tv - Proyecto WikiVIP: Wikipedia comienza a incorporar voces de celebridades
- aveventures.net - Wikipedia’s Adding Voice Recordings to Famous People’s Biographies
- FWVentures.net - Wikipedia’s Adding Voice Recordings to Famous People’s Biographies
- clasesdeperiodismo.com - Wikipedia quiere preservar las voces en su plataforma
- Librarystuff.net - Stephen Fry records his voice for Wikipedia
- webmasto.com - Wikipedia’da Artık Ünlülerin Ses Kayıtları da Yer Alacak
- love74.com - Wikipedia documents the celebrity voices in their pages(in Arabic)
- takesontech.com - Wikipedia Adding Voice Recordings to Famous People’s Bio Pages
- blog.software-nation.com - Wikipedia adding celebrity voices to wiki pages to preserve them for future generations
- Raduoncescu.ro - Wikipedia VIP
- sage-computers.com - Wikipedia documents the celebrity voices in their pages
- tariq-aljaser.com - Wikipedia documents the celebrity voices in their pages (in Arabic)
- GeeksRoom.com - El Proyecto WikiVIP quiere preservar la voz de famosos
- Green-tea-reviews.com - Wikipedia’s Adding Voice Recordings to Famous People’s Biographies
- networldinteractive.com - Wikipedia adding celebrity voices to wiki pages to preserve them for future generations
- beartai.com - Wikipedia began collecting audio clips celebrities added to the online encyclopedia (in Thai)
- haryanaabtak.com - WikiVIP: A place where Salman, Shah Rukh, Arvind Kejriwal can speak only for 10 seconds
- techwhack.co - Wikimedia starts a WikiVIP program to record voices of celebrities for posterity
- socialnet.mk (Macedonia, unable to translate)
- Technicsandtime.com - Wikipedia adding celebrity voices to wiki pages to preserve them for future generations
- i3con.co.kr - from Wikipedia, the celebrity voice recording (in Korean)
- hi-tech.leonardo.it - Wikipedia Stephen Fry: perché un’autorità registra la propria voce per i posteri
- htxt.co.za - Wikipedia project hopes to add celebrity voices to Wiki pages
- webrazzi.com - Wikipedia önemli kişilerin biyografilerine ses kayıtlarını eklemeye başladı
- freshinfos.com - Wikipedia Launches WikiVIP to Preserve Voices of Celebrities
- memeburn.com - Wikipedia looks to preserve celeb voices by adding them to pages
- excoft.net - Wikipedia documents the celebrity voices in their pages (in Arabic)
- www.sosmedblog.com - Wikipedia biographies of important people began to add voice recordings
- gizmodo.it - Wikipedia inserisce le registrazioni audio delle voci nelle voci biografiche
- The Guardian - Stephen Fry kickstarts Wikipedia's celebrity voice archives
- net.nana20.co.il - Wikipedia maintains the celebrity voices
- The Telegraph - Stephen Fry launches project to save voices for posterity
- PC World - Wikipedia adding voice recording to famous people's pages
- motherboard.vice.com - Wikipedia is building a repository of famous voices
- Bournemouth University Research Blog - Contributing to Wikipedia - the ultimate in open access
Blog posts this month
- New blog "planet" for UK Wikimiedians (7 January)
- 2013 - what can we learn from what people read on Wikipedia? (8 January)
- Creative Commons 4.0 BY and BY-SA licenses approved conformant with the Open Definition (14 January)
- Wikimedia UK and Cancer Research UK to take cancer information to the next level (16 January)
- Celebrating Scottish poets: Anyone but Burns! (20 January)
- Wellcome Images freely releases 100,000 images (21 January)
- Telling the stories of rural England with Wikipedia (24 January)
- Stephen Fry records his voice for Wikipedia (25 January)
- Coleg Cymraeg to employ Wikipedian in Residence (28 January)
- Anybody but Burns event a success (29 January)
Upcoming activities in January and February
- 07 - Tech Com meeting
- 12 - London meetup
- 18 - Speakerthon: uploading voice samples from the Radio 4 archive to Wikipedia
- 18 - Women in zoology and natural history editathon at London Zoo
- 19 - Oxford meetup
- 25 - Anybody but Burns editathon, Edinburgh
- 26 - Swansea Editathon and Wiki training
- 26 - Manchester meetup
- 01 - TaPRA Wikipedia Workshop - London
- 01–02 - Training the Trainers/February 2014 event - Cardiff
- 09 - London meetup
- 15 - Cambridge meetup
- 17–21 - Wikipedia Takes UCL - London
- 21 - National Maritime Museum Cornwall & Cornish GLAMs one day workshop - Falmouth, contact:Fæ
- 26 - Wellcome Library editathon
- 27–28 - Ally Crockford at The EDGE Conference - Edinburgh
For events in March 2014 and onwards, please see Events.
Work on closing the 2013/14 financial year is continuing ahead of schedule, with the first auditor's meeting during the week of 10 March. Public figures are not available for distribution until they've been checked over by the auditors, but they maybe available by April.
The most recent full board meeting was in December. Board committees meet in-between full board meetings, and the Audit and Risk Committee met in January.
Please see the above links to relevant press coverage received in January and blog posts published during the same period.
If you're interested in getting more involved with our communications or have any questions or comments, please email Stevie Benton – firstname.lastname@example.org
Fundraising and Membership
This month, we received £2,051.00 in one-off donations, with 11 individual donations, one of which was a donation of £1,000. Removing this large donation from consideration the average donation amount was £95.63 - 40% of these donors have had Gift Aid Declarations made and matched with their records. If anyone would like a full (but anonymised) csv file with more information, please get in touch with katherine.bavagewikimedia.org.uk and let her know your requirements.
There were 4506 successful direct debits this month, bringing in a total of £17842.52.
Up to 31st January 2013 there were 238 members of the charity eligible to vote.
You can view more detailed membership data here
Visitors to the office this month
We received 73 visitors to the office this month. Organisations included Work Digital, the Egypt Historical Society, Afghan Aid, Target Right Media and the Zoological Society of London.