Representing Wikimedia UK
Wikimedia UK ('the Chapter') is entrusted by the Wikimedia Foundation with the use of certain trademarks and 'identity documents', for example, use of the Wikimedia (including Wikimedia UK) logo, and use of the Wikimedia name. Wikimedia UK's Chapter Agreement with the Wikimedia Foundation mean that we must exercise some control over these Wikimedia marks when they are used in an official capacity in the UK.
There are no problems with a volunteer introducing themselves as a 'Wikimedia UK Volunteer', but care must be taken to ensure that the other party are aware that they are a volunteer, and do not always officially represent the Chapter. The same applies to the terms 'Wikimedia Volunteer', 'Wikimedian', 'Wikipedian' and similar, which are outside of WMUK's control.
Websites and domain names
- UK-specific domain names for the Wikimedia projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation are registered and held either by the Wikimedia Foundation or the Chapter.
- UK (or related) websites using the Wikimedia name are registered and held by the Chapter. Examples: http://www.wikimedia.co.uk/ or http://www.wikimedia.ie/
- Domain names for Wikimedia UK projects are registered and held by the Chapter, e.g. http://www.britainloveswikipedia.org/ or http://www.monmouthpedia.org/
- UK (or related) websites using a similar name are generally registered and held by the chapter, or a trusted community member. Examples: http://www.wikiconferences.org.uk/ or http://www.glamwiki.org/
- An index of these domains and websites, along with their registered owners, is maintained by the Chapter's Office ('the Office') on the office wiki.
- Wikimedia UK projects may use the Wikimedia trademark with the Chapter's permission. All other uses of the trademark must be referred to the Wikimedia Foundation for permission.
- They should abide by the Wikimedia Foundation's trademark policy unless an exception has been made by the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Trademark requests should be routed through the Office.
- Stationery, such as Wikimedia UK business cards or letters sent on a Wikimedia UK letterhead, should only be printed or used with the explicit permission of the Chapter.
- The officer(s) with authority to grant such approval are the Chief Executive, or delegated staff.
- Communication by volunteers without such permission should indicate that it has come from a volunteer, rather than from the Chapter. Those communications should not use Wikimedia UK logos.
- The Chapter will usually approve requests for stationery if they support a key active project - for example, "Welsh Ambassador". The Chapter will fund such stationery.
- The Office will maintain a list of those authorised to use Wikimedia UK stationery on the office wiki.
- The Office can provide volunteers with a variety of merchandise to be handed out at events.
- The Office will also keep track of stock levels to ensure that merchandise is being used to good effect, and that plenty of stock is available to volunteers as needed.
- The Office will also provide pull-up banners and similar items for activities and events as requested. These will be kept track of at all times, and should be returned to the Office when no longer being used. Occasionally new banners can be produced upon request, e.g. for Wicipedia. This needs to be discussed with the Office.
- Trustees and staff (including contractors) have access to @wikimedia.org.uk email addresses. They should include the standard email disclaimer at the foot of all official emails.
- Volunteers on specific projects may be given email addresses at those projects specifically for use when working on those projects. They should include a disclaimer at the foot of all emails sent from this email address. Email correspondence confirming agreements or making commitments on behalf of Wikimedia UK with external partners or contacts must have staff or board members copied in for information and advance review if involving or interpreting significant funding commitments.
- The Office will maintain a list of all active email addresses on Wikimedia UK-owned domains on the office wiki.
Volunteers undertaking activities on behalf of WMUK or as the charity's representative are covered by our insurance policy. http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RSA_Encompass_Policy_Wording%281%29.pdf For more details visit or contact the office.