Teaching Translation via Wikipedia
Please feel free to edit this page if you're interested in being part of this collaborative group around UK-based translation education through Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.
People interested in participating
- Toni Sant (WMUK) (talk) 16:52, 14 October 2014 (BST)
- Robin Owain (Wikimedia UK Manager for Wales)
- Khaled Al-Shehari, Assistant Professor in Translation Studies at Sultan Qaboos University (Oman).
- Simon McKinnon, teacher of French and Translation at the [w:University_of_Durham University of Durham] (UK).
- Penny Johnson, teacher of Spanish and Translation at the [w:University_of_Durham University of Durham] (UK).
- Sally Wagstaffe, teacher of French and Translation at the [w:University_of_Durham University of Durham] (UK).
- Rocío Baños, Lecturer in Translation at [:en:University_College_London University College London] (UK).
- Mari Carmen Maya, teacher of Spanish and Translation at the [w:University_of_Durham University of Durham] (UK).
- Ali Almanna, Assistant Professor of Translation at the [:en:University_of_Nizwa University of Nizwa] (Oman).
- Ekrema Shehab, Assistant Professor of Translation at [w:An-Najah_National_University An-Najah National University] (Palestine)
- Daniela G. Morabito, teacher of English and Translation at [w:Universidad_de_Morón Universidad de Morón] (Argentina)
- Elif İrem Koç, translator and interpreter from [:w:Bogazici_University Boğaziçi University] (Turkey)
- Calos M. Ochoa, translator member of ATA (México)
- Shada M Salameh, translator and editor (Arabic-German-English) (Jordan)
- Deborah Chow, translator and PhD student at the [w:University_of_Malaya University of Malaya] (Malaysia)
- Mehmet Şahin, assistant professor of translation and interpreting at [w:İzmir_University_of_Economics Izmir University of Economics] (Turkey)
- Jūlija Rastorgujeva, translator, lecturer in Translation at the [w:Baltic_International_Academy Baltic International Academy] (Latvia)
- Mark Shuttleworth, Senior Lecturer in Translation at [:en:University_College_London University College London] (UK).
- Goui Djamel, Associate Professor in Translation (Arabic, French and English) at the [w:University_of_Ouargla University of Ouargla] (Algeria)
- Piotr Szymczak, Associate Professor in Translation Studies at Institute of English Studies, [:en:University_of_Warsaw University of Warsaw] (Poland)
- Adrian Izquierdo, Spanish and Translation at Hunter College, [:en:City_University_of_New_York The City University of New York] (USA)
- Fernando Ferreira Alves, translator and lecturer in Translation at the [:en:University_of_Minho University of Minho] (Portugal)
- María Calzada Pérez, Full Professor in Translation and Interpreting, Universidad Jaume I (Spain)
- Kim Schulte, Lecturer in Translation and Interpreting, Universidad Jaume I (Spain)
- Robert Martínez Carrasco, Visiting Professor in Translation and Interpreting, Universidad Jaume I (Spain)
- Alfred Markey, Lecturer in English, Universidad Jaume I (Spain)
- Iris Serrat Roozen, Associate Professor in Translation and Interpreting Studies, Universidad Católica de Valencia(Spain)
- María del Mar Bonet Ramos, technical assistant working for the ECPC group at the Universidad Jaume I (Spain)
- Fernando Gabarrón, technical assistant working for the ECPC group at the Universidad Jaume I (Spain)
- Sara Rodríguez, language proof-reader working for the ECPC group at the Universidad Jaume I (Spain)
- Paz Marín, Lecturer in English (at the Universidad Católica de Valencia, and proof-reader working for the ECPC group at the Universidad Jaume I (Spain)
- Marina Ramos Caro, Lecturer in Translation and Interpreting at the Universidad de Murcia (Spain)
- Mohammed Bachounda , leader WikiDZ Algeria
- Ana Isabel Foulquie Rubio, Lecturer in Translation and Interpreting, Universidad de Murcia (Spain)
- María Calzada Pérez started Aprendices de traducción con la Wikipedia in 2011. This project is funded by the Universidad Jaume I.
- María Calzada Pérez and Kim Schulte started E-translating Wikipedia in 2014. This project is funded by the Universidad Jaume I. In 2015 Robert Martínez-Carrasco joined the project and included Catalan as one of the project's working languages.
- Khaled Al-Shehari started a project in 2013/14, in which he used Wikipedia articles as the source for the translation assignments his students at Durham were asked to translate into Arabic. The project will continue this year in its second phase. For more information, visit the project's page here. More details on the project, including names of students, teams, titles of articles, translations, etc, can be found on the Arabic page here.
- Penny Johnson and Simon McKinnon extended Khaled Al-Shehari's project above into the English to Spanish part of the Durham MA in Translation. Their project page can be found here. A French to English project is planned for Autumn 2015.
- WMUK is planning to support an event bringing together people interested in teaching translation via Wikipedia sometime in February/March 2015. Please make sure you indicate your interest in this group above, so we can contact you with further details about these plans as soon as they become available. Email educationwikimedia.org.uk if you don't have a wiki username and prefer to give us your contact details that way.
- A new project of teaching translation via Wikipedia has just started at Sultan Qaboos University. The new challenge here is that Omani students are are new to the use of technology in their education, so it was the hardest part of my job to convince them of how important for translators nowadays to be able to use technology in their work. More information on the project, where you can watch their progress on their draft pages, can be accessed here. The page also has an Arabic version. --Kshehari (talk) 09:47, 27 September 2015 (BST)
- Piotr Szymczak at Institute of English Studies, University of Warsaw, regularly uses Polish translations of English Wikipedia articles in translator training, and published an article outlining the advantages of the format (article). Also, creating and editing Wikipedia articles on Translation Studies are part of the credit requirement for his History of Translation Theory course.
- Al-Shehari, K. (2017). Collaborative learning: trainee translators tasked to translate Wikipedia entries from English into Arabic. The Interpreter And Translator Trainer, 1-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1750399x.2017.1359755
- Khaled Al-Shehari delivered a presentation at the NU/Durham workshop (Durham University, UK) on 15th September about the the use of Wikipedia in teaching translation. The presentation described an experiment conducted by Khaled on his MA students who study for their MA in Arabic/English Translation and Interpreting.
- Another presentation was delivered by [:en:User:Kshehari Khaled Al-Shehari] at the TEACHING TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING 4, at the University of Lodz in Poland, 28-29 November 2014. For more information about the activity, see the report, including sample slides here.
- María Calzada Pérez and Santiago Navarro delivered "Aprendices de traducción con Wikipedia (Learning to translate with Wikipedia)" at the Wikipedia and University: Research and Teaching Experiences, which took place on 13th November, 2013 at the IN3 (Media-TIC building, Barcelona).
- Robert Martínez Carrasco delivered "Learning Translation with the Wikipedia: An innovative and collaborative online experience for future translators" at the CIJITI_2015 See final programme here
- Khaled Al-Shehari is presenting a paper today at WikiArabia conference in Amman, exploring the main challenges he faced in teaching translation via Wikipedia at Sultan Qaboos University.
- María Calzada Pérez is delivering the presentation "Wikitrans/Wikitrad" at the Translating Europe Forum 2016. Focus on Translation Technologies, which is taking place on 27th October 2016 at the Charlemagne Building, Rue de la Loi 170, Brussels.
- María Calzada Pérez delivered the presentation "Embracing Complexity in the Translation Classroom" at Translatathon Uniba, on 14th May 2018, Dipartamento Lettere, Lingue. Arti, Italianistica e Culture Comparate, Università degli Studi di Bari Aldo Moro, Bari (Italia).
- 7 January 2015: [:en:User:Kshehari Khaled Al-Shehari], [:en:User:SGMckinnon Simon McKinnon], [:en:User:Pennyjohnson7777 Penny Johnson] and [:en:User:SWagstaffe Sally Wagstaffe] met up in Durham to develop ideas for the project in 2015 (including plans for using Wikipedia in teaching Spanish<>English and French<>English translation).
- WMUK's Campus Ambassadors' Programme
- Wikipedia The Missing Manual
- Wikipedia Tutorial
- Copying with Licensing
- Wikipedia Cheatsheet
- Content translation tool