User talk:Rich Farmbrough

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to: navigation, search

Best to look at wikipedia:User talk:Rich Farmbrough

Templates[edit source]

Hi Rich, do you actually have a use for those templates you're importing? It's just that this wiki isn't for hosting content, it's just for discussion and organisation of chapter matters. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 22:32, 7 December 2011 (UTC)

Face-smile.svg All were from Special:WantedTemplates. Rich Farmbrough, 01:14, 8 December 2011 (UTC).
Interesting. I didn't know there was such a list, but if the templates have a use, carry on. :) HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 01:26, 8 December 2011 (UTC)
Some of those templates are little use without all their CSS from w:en:Mediawiki:Common.css. {{Navbox}} is a good example of that. -- WOSlinker 13:12, 14 December 2011 (UTC)
True. (But also false - they do at least show what they are supposed to do, sans style.) It's a problem with abstracting style away to that extent - encapsulation fails even as data hiding succeeds. Maybe we should import the CSS. Rich Farmbrough, 22:17, 19 December 2011 (UTC).
Go for it - please suggest relevant additions to the CSS page at MediaWiki talk:Common.css. :-) Mike Peel 00:19, 20 December 2011 (UTC)

Tech committee - bots and migrating the UK wiki[edit source]

Hi Rich -

We've just had a developer progress update meeting and are planning to try and take as much info as possible to the next meeting of the Tech Committee, which will be on 18th April and will include a discussion about ways to migrate the UK Wiki from its current hosting by WMF to our servers.

It has been suggested that bot work might prove very handy in facilitating this, particularly if we could use a bot in conjunction with Special:ListUsers to compare all users to current users to get a sense of the scale of the issue - excuse me if I'm paraphrasing the discussion cack-handedly here :) Any chance you can drop me an email if you'd be free to attend the committee meeting, and/or might be able to run this kind of script before the 18th? Your input could be really helpful and certainly appreciated :) Katherine Bavage (WMUK) (talk) 16:37, 26 March 2013 (UTC)

Indeed, Rich, your expertise would be very welcome. Come along to a Tech Committee meeting and give us some input. Do you have any experience of using RT: Request Tracker http://bestpractical.com/rt/ as we could spec bot requests on our implementation for you, if you were willing? --RexxS (talk) 23:49, 27 March 2013 (UTC)

State of the Map scholarships[edit source]

Hey Rich - nice to meet you this weekend :) Am I right in thinking you were interested in Wikimedian's going to the OSM event? The scholarships I was talking about are here and were highlighted via the wikimediauk-l community mailing list on the 5th June :) Katherine Bavage (WMUK) (talk) 10:32, 10 June 2013 (UTC)

If you are interested, details of how to apply are here. The deadline is 10th June (today) so if you get something submitted today it will be fine. Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 10:39, 10 June 2013 (UTC)

user page soft redirect[edit source]

Want to fix it? Needs a valid domain, and probably a user: namespace link. billinghurst sDrewth 11:04, 19 August 2013 (UTC)

Fixed. The interwiki works elsewhere, but the magic word was everywhere wrong. Rich Farmbrough, 17:04, 19 August 2013 (UTC).