Meetings/2009-09-15

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 29 September 2009.

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 15th September 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (minutes); Zeyi He (ZH); Paul Williams (PW) (part); Tom Holden (TH); Steve Virgin (SV)

Apologies: Joseph Seddon (JS)

Comment Note: Please mark your actions with one of the following:

* {{done}} if you have completed what was agreed
* {{doing}} if you have started doing what was agreed but haven't finished
* {{cf}} if you have not yet done what was agreed but will do in the future
* {{canc}} if you have not done what was agreed and will not now do it

In addition please mark {{discuss}} if the board needs to discuss the action and add it to the agenda of the next meeting.

Minutes of previous meetings[edit | edit source]

The minutes of the meeting dated 1 September was approved.

The following actions were carried forward:

1. AT will look into where we could produce branded merchandise. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

2. MP to complete the press FAQs at Frequently Asked Questions Yes check.svg Done

3. MP to work with SV to do mini press releases, no more than one per month, advertising spikes in traffic per WP:POPULAR related to particular news events. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

4. PW will develop a proposal for buying a computer for the Schools Project with, potentially, peripherals such as a projector, screen, printer etc. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

5. JS to draft an email for the Open Knowledge Foundation mailing list, to recruit new members. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

6. AT to arrange printing of the business cards Symbol wait.svg Doing...

7. MP to investigate moving our wiki at http://uk.wikimedia.org to http://www.wikimedia.org.uk subject to technical feasibility re Single User Logins and hosting, with gb.wikimedia.org as a potential alternative. Bug Report. Once this has been completed, MP to follow up with Wikimedia Ukraine regarding the "uk." website conflict. Symbol wait.svg Doing...

8. AT agreed to investigate getting paid legal advice on charitable status, using the Foundation's offer to fund. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

9. JS agreed to follow up with his contacts at the BBC Digital Revolution and click and get them in touch with the Workplace Learning Lunches. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

10. AT agreed to draft a response to the supporter who wants to support us anonymously and circulate to the board. Symbol wait.svg Doing...

11. MP agreed to investigate options for a Britain Loves Wikipedia domain name and recommend one to register. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

12. AT agreed to contact each board member to complete the register of interests. Symbol wait.svg Doing...

13. MP agreed to arrange CRB checks for board members and Schools Project volunteers once the funding reallocation had been agreed with the Foundation. Symbol wait.svg Doing... Dialog ballons icon.svg Discuss

14. MP agreed to investigate moving our OTRS system to one hosted by ourselves to reduce the risk that confidential emails are inappropriately viewed by non-WMUK people or emails are sent in the name of the chapter without approval. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

15. MP agreed to follow up with the foundation his request for detailed statistics on the proportion of UK internet users who use Wikipedia. Symbol wait.svg Doing...

16. PW and MP agreed to complete and distribute the September newsletter. Yes check.svg Done

Matters arising[edit | edit source]

PW and SV have emailed round lists of press contacts; it was agreed these would be added to http://board.wikimedia.org.uk/

ACTION: AT Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

There was a discussion on the date of the monthly newsletter - at the start, middle or end of the month and it was agreed this would be continued on the board mailing list.

Reports[edit | edit source]

Secretary's Report[edit | edit source]

The Secretary's Report was noted. Unfortunately no one was able to meet with the Wikipedia Loves Art winner who's visiting London so AT agreed to reply with our apologies.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

Treasurer's Report[edit | edit source]

The Treasurer's Report was noted which showed net unrestricted funds of £104.07.

Chair's Report[edit | edit source]

The Chair's Report was noted.

The Board agreed that MP should continue the dialogue with the National Portrait Gallery that was started at the Pictures in Public conference, keeping the Foundation informed of progress.

The Board also agreed that MP could install anti-comment spam "Akismet" on the Blog. Yes check.svg Done

Initiatives Report[edit | edit source]

The Initiatives Report was noted, with a correction that the Postal museum is not yet confirmed.

Note: the Conferences Report was delayed until JS' arrival

[Note added after the meeting: the conferences report was not covered during the meeting; it will be noted & discussed in the next meeting, on the 29th. Mike Peel 17:51, 20 September 2009 (UTC)]

Corporate Report[edit | edit source]

The Corporate Report was noted. SV has been talking to an agent of the St Helena Tourism Board regarding the Wikipedia Loves Art concept. MP was happy for SV to involve him in the discussion by phone if appropriate.

SV is also following up a lead with Child Wise, who run a project for Hackney council. It was suggested we should try to train the teachers rather direct teaching children, to avoid child protection barriers.

MP agreed to send SV the names of the BBC people he had spoken to at the Pictures in Public conference for the Workplaces Lunches initiative.

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done

SV agreed to refer the approach from a commercial database company to Kul at the Foundation.

ACTION: SV Yes check.svg Done

Volunteers Report[edit | edit source]

The Volunteers Report was noted.

Brighton Seminar[edit | edit source]

A message to the email list mentioned a free copyright seminar in Brighton at the end of the month. It was agreed in principle that the free content conference monies could be used for this and that JS would be asked to take the lead with this, making recommentations to the board by email which will be approved unless someone objects within 24 hours. AT agreed to approach JS and detailed mechanics will be discussed further by email.

ACTION: AT X mark.svg Cancelled Dialog ballons icon.svg Discuss

Initiatives[edit | edit source]

Schools project[edit | edit source]

PW raised a concern that he needed more help developing content for this project as he can't do it on his own. PW agreed to drop an email to the schools email list setting out what's needed. ZH offered to help and will phone PW to discuss.

ACTION: PW Yes check.svg Done (by AT) , ZH Yes check.svg Done

PW left the meeting

Workplace learning lunches[edit | edit source]

As discussed under the corporate report, there are problems progressing this with the BBC so SV will try an alternative approach. The timeline and budget are still outstanding.

Britain Loves Wikipedia[edit | edit source]

V&A have confirmed that they will participate and host the opening event.

AOB[edit | edit source]

Merchandising[edit | edit source]

Permission has been received from the Foundation to use their logos for merchandise. AT started an email thread discussing what kind of merchandise people would buy which threw up some good ideas. AT agreed to investigate printing on demand T-shirts and advertise on the wiki, email list, blog, twitter and facebook. (see previous action)

In person board meeting[edit | edit source]

The date of 10th October was confirmed; MP will confirm attendance and make further arrangements over email.

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done

Fundraising drive[edit | edit source]

AT agreed to send an email regarding the main issues that need agreement on the Fundraising Agreement.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

Other tasks identified included the donation content page including our list of proposed activities, publicity and the transfer of funds. MP suggested we set up a wiki page. Further discussion will take place at the next meeting.

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done 2009 Winter Fundraiser

Next meeting[edit | edit source]

The next meeting was set for Tuesday 29th September, 8:30pm, #wikimedia-uk-board

Meeting closed at 22:55