Talk:GLAMcamp London/September 2012

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to: navigation, search

GLAM and education[edit source]

You might like to add the role of education projects and GLAM. We have students doing GLAM outreach in Mexico. Any grants for this event? Thelmadatter

Decision making process[edit source]

Dear all,
previous GLAMcamps have shown that the decision making process is quite obscure sometimes. In order to avoid depriving non-participants of their opinion on certain questions, I propose to poll any important decision in a digital way, after the camp. The GLAMcamp could be used to prepare major propositions on a certain topic, which then could be decided upon by the global GLAM commnunity, within a reasonable period of time (e.g. 1 month). What do you think? Regards, Peter Weis (talk) 14:34, 30 July 2012 (UTC)

It depends on the decision. There are logistics that need to be decided on as early as possible and where opening the discussion widely for consultation may not be as useful as the wider community establishing a focused committee to get on with it on their behalf. -- (talk) 15:58, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
+1. Decisions on the logistics/organisation of the camp was not my intention when writing this request. However, if certain decisions need to be made ASAP (I can't think of a proper example though) during the workshop we should look for a technical solution to include as many people from the GLAM community as possible. A committee could be a suitable solution, if legitimated by the GLAM community. My idea was rather focused on the actual output of the camp and decisions that have a direct or long-term / strategic impact: e.g. shall we create a fancy website on www.glamwiki.org or not. Regards, Peter Weis (talk) 17:49, 30 July 2012 (UTC)

Venue[edit source]

As visitors to Monmouth will know we can create a bit of a show for Wikipedia with a successful project. Similar ideas to out do Monmouth are being proposed for Gibraltar early next year. I would like to invite GLAMcampers to consider the idea of holding the next GLAMwiki conference in Gibraltar. I hope that you can think of ways this may happen and we will supply four or five reasons why you wouldn't consider holding it anywhere else. Victuallers (talk) 16:19, 30 July 2012 (UTC)

Apologies[edit source]

Those adding their name to attendees and having to cancel:

  1. Kiril Simeonovski (depending on funding) Problems with funding and visa to the UK.
  2. Thelmadatter - would need accommodation for two weeks in the UK
  3. Mike Peel (talk) 05:55, 28 July 2012 (UTC) Would have loved to attend, but other commitments prevent me from doing so (OMG, endless emails!)
  4. KTo288 commitments clash
  5. AroundTheGlobe (talk) Won't be in London
  6. Shani
  7. Noopur28 (depending on funding)
  8. Llywelyn2000

If you have cancelled due to being rejected for funding from your local chapter, please ensure you have contacted Daria to discuss a potential scholarship from the UK chapter. -- (talk) 09:55, 24 August 2012 (UTC)

Discussions about GLAMwiki Conference 2013[edit source]

Hi guys!

I have a question: On the schedule it now says: "Session 2: Looking forward to GLAMwiki Conference 2013 (possibly split into sessions - working groups - on the day)" scheduled on the Saturday. Earlier I contacted you guys to make sure that all of the discussions about the GLAMwiki Conference 2013 would take place on Sunday as I could only attend on Sunday (as I am travelling with my family in Riga during that weekend, and is leaving earlier because of this). I was told that all of the discussions would indeed be on Sunday and then I booked my non refundable tickets. As we have been talking about working on the conference together, as part of the Europeana Awareness project, I would kindly ask you to move all of the discussions about the GLAMwiki Conference 2013 to Sunday. A suggestion is to move either "Session 2: Tools and metrics Initial best practice sessions" or "Session 3: Best practice sessions" to Saturday instead. I really hope that we can solve this.

Looking forward meeting all of you there.

Cheers,

John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 08:16, 28 August 2012 (UTC)

Thanks John, will draw Fae's attention to this, hopefully we will be able to swap. Daria Cybulska (WMUK) (talk) 11:05, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
Thank you Daria! I really hope that no one else that is planning to participate would get any problems because of a rescheduling! John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 15:00, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
Now reshuffled. Andrew Gray (talk) 11:55, 29 August 2012 (UTC)
That is wonderful! Thank you all! John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 14:41, 30 August 2012 (UTC)

Lessons learned: The legacy of GLAMcamp Amsterdam[edit source]

Dear all,
I was just chatting with Lori Phillips about the question of unsolved issues at earlier GLAMcamps. As those who attended might know, a variety of topics/issues/questions remained unanswered or untouched. A proper GLAM website is just one of the subjects that were discussed in Amsterdam but remained without any conclusive solution. The idea would be to prepare a page that features topics from the GLAMcamp Amsterdam which are still important to the GLAM movement, but were abandoned after the GLAMcamp or not discussed at all. If you have any ideas, feel free to comment below or establish this page (I'd like to see some feedback about my proposal before creating the actual page).

Regards, Peter Weis (talk) 20:39, 31 August 2012 (UTC)

  • Great, please do it. 87.194.52.251 21:01, 11 September 2012 (UTC)

Facilitation[edit source]

Before the change of focus (from GLAMWiki), I was going to facilitate some sessions; chiefly the lightening talks. I'm not listed as a facilitator; does that mean I'm no longer required in that role? Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 21:36, 9 September 2012 (UTC)

Err not sure. It would I think just be one session. Johnbod (talk) 21:39, 11 September 2012 (UTC)

Pre-meeting on Thursday/Friday[edit source]

Daria and Fae are looking at having a pre-camp discussion for final coordination on either Thursday or Friday (depending on how many sign up) and a social dinner on the Friday evening before the camp. Please add your name below if you can make it:

Thursday Coordination meeting on Thursday at Old Street offices from 3.30pm (probably with a drink afterwards).

(Superseded by Thursday meeting, though office open as usual)
Friday Coordination discussion (in person at Old Street, details TBC, but 3pm onwards suggested):
  • (talk) swapping to Thursday as proposed below.
  • possibly, if free - may be booked for a couple of BL meetings in the afternoon. Andrew Gray (talk) 18:22, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
  • I'm in the office on Thursday afternoon anyway, & would prefer this as there is still time to actually do things afterwards, which there won't be with a Friday pm/evening meeting. Johnbod (talk) 21:40, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
This sounds a good idea to me. I can make it over by 3.30. Andrew Gray (talk) 10:51, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
I could do Thurs afternoon but that would mean dropping out of a social on Friday night.
  • If I can shift another meeting. Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 10:36, 12 September 2012 (UTC) Can't make it, sorry.
  • I'm coming down on Friday afternoon anyway and thought I might pop into the office and say hello. I could phone in to a Thursday afternoon meeting, but somebody would have to phone my mobile (not posting my number publicly but the office have it) to let me know the details, because I'm without an Internet connection atm. Harry Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 15:00, 12 September 2012 (UTC)

Friday social dinner (Authentic (mild) vegetarian Indian at Ravi Shankar's near Euston, from 7pm - Ravi Shankar is the famous Sitar player and he really does own this restaurant):


With regard to the Friday social, regardless of whether the coordination meeting is on the same day, this seems like a nice thing for anyone arriving internationally the night before the camp and it gives them a chance to share ideas about their expectations for the weekend, which is no bad thing considering how flexible we are and how we would prefer the weekend not to be side-tracked into too many presented-before-summaries of GLAM events. Could we get an email out to registered attendees to encourage them to sign up if they are available? -- (talk) 11:08, 12 September 2012 (UTC)

Happy to add that to a general reminder email that I have scheduled for Thursday (to also include expenses etc) Daria Cybulska (WMUK) (talk) 12:18, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
Perhaps we need to be somewhere more central? Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 14:55, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
As anyone travelling in would probably be within reasonable distance of the British Library, that's probably the locus from which to chose a venue where one can have dinner for as little as a tenner, quiet enough to hear each other and preferably with a bit of free wifi. Alternatives welcome as The Yard ain't the bees knees. ;-) A central alternative I have been to many times is Malabar Junction @ 107 Great Russell Street [1] interesting South Indian dishes from around 11 quid and just about a 15 minute walk from the BL, being very close to the British Museum. -- (talk) 15:08, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
stuck through, lest anyone go to the wrong venue!
What about the Indian place near Euston we went to, after the Board meeting I live-streamed? Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 15:40, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
Do you mean Ravi Shankar's @ Drummond Street? I really like the place, great value, all vegetarian (which solves some arguments), handy for Euston though you have to have a sense of humour about the service and you cannot book tables (I think). Okay for a smallish group (say, up to 8). -- (talk) 15:55, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
Ravi Shankar has been booked for Friday night at 7pm, for 15 people (flexible). Isabelle Yates (WMUK) (talk) 11:57, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
Well done, a booking solves a lot of uncertainty and Drummond street is pretty easy to find next to Euston. BTW, for London it is good value, I recommend any of the Dosa, see menu, which are a speciality and a really filling meal at £6.95 a pop. Don't be surprised at being served on a metal plate - culturally that really is authentically Indian. :-) -- (talk) 12:02, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
I didn't but that's cool. Are we meeting there, or in a nearby pub before hand? Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 15:17, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
People were encouraged to go straight for the restaurant, but I am sure some people will be around earlier. You can try Andrew Gray and see if he has plans for the afternoon. Daria Cybulska (WMUK) (talk) 09:33, 14 September 2012 (UTC)


Reflections from Lodewijk[edit source]

First of all a cheer and thanks to the great WMUK folks that pulled off this camp! I think it was a helpful camp and we need to keep them coming!

We had some 20-30 participants to GLAMcamp London. Please note that we revolted a bit every now and then and changed the schedule from hour 1, which is reflected on the etherpad notes. Some of the outcomes/conclusions that stuck with me (not necessarily official outcomes):

  • We need more 'concepts' of activities and events. That means, boiled down case studies to the essentials - which can be used directly as a manual to organize one. Case studies and showcases are extremely helpful to build this on. We started an overview page on here where we try to merge information together to accomplish this. We didn't spend a _lot_ of time on this in the end (only 1,5 hour or so) so much work to be done and appreciated! Please add your resources and help us boil down, summarize and get to the essentials!
  • A returning remark in conversations was that it seemed the WMF is pulling back a bit from GLAM and 'focusing on its core business' and that the GLAM group seems to be getting more independent of both WMF and the chapters. This might require us to set up a central infrastructure ourselves to secure continuity.
  • Managing conflicts of interest needs more discussion - possibly at a later meeting/conference
  • There were some thoughts/discussions towards 'eternal preservation' - but as far as I know no concrete action points
  • The bottle neck of tools like BaGLAMa and others working properly (which is often not the case either because there are not the right people available, either because the Toolserver doesn't get the love it requires). Especially the disfunctioning toolserver is decreasing the outcomes of several projects and events.
  • Lodewijk and Daniel Mietchen are trying to get a nice working tool produced by someone (who?) which can at least track what happens with the people we onboard during an event (if we know their user names). Might be a way to better track success.
  • Quite some interest for trying to get more sound files. Possible venues have been explored and might be pursued.
  • From 12-14 April 2013 there will be a GLAM-WIKI conference in London again. [2] A program committee has been formed (names seem to be missing, but it would include two Johns and Dominic at least)
  • We're going to try to set up two bootcamps for GLAM rookies: one in the US and one in Europe (both focusing on their local communities) for people who have at least a bunch of experience in the Wikimedia Community. The bootcamp would introduce them to several aspects, and give them some hands on experience over the course of three days. Possibly to be combined with scholarships to the conference. The camps would be planned in the beginning of April/end of March. If this works well, we can scale it further to other countries. Lori/Dominic are exploring this for the US, Kilian for Germany. A joint syllabus and set-up would be prepared. More info and discussion on [3].
  • We also discussed an advanced bootcamp ('to create more bottleneck skilled people like multichill) but we couldn't agree on a fruitful strategy to get there. We did agree on some other things, so will continue on that road. The advanced bootcamp idea will be put aside for future discussion if the rookie bootcamp is successful.
  • Daniel committed to bringing GLAM proposals back to 'cucumber specs' [4] and evangelize them to wikimedia hackathons. So if you have something that needs to be built, contact Daniel Mietchen!
  • Tom Morris committed to writing (or getting someone to write) documentation for GLAMmy people on how to write good specifications.
  • Max, Dominic and Lori committed to setting up a Mentorship Program/page where glammy people and technical people are paired up and help each other. the GLAMmy person can help the techy to understand glam better, and the techy can mentor the glammy person into understanding how to handle technical requests most effectively. This should in the longer run take some load of the superusers' shoulders.