User talk:Mike Peel

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to: navigation, search

You can make up for forgetting to put back my changes to the board section of the main page by writing yourself a bio! --Tango 19:51, 1 February 2009 (UTC)

Done. :) Now, onto business: /me goes scouting for a brick... Mike Peel 20:53, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
I've printed the form, I've filled the form... I still need to write the cheque (which involves finding my cheque book, hence the delay!), address the envelope, put the form and cheque in it and post it. So 2 out of 6... I'm getting there! --Tango 21:00, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Great. :) I'm glad all potential members aren't as difficult as you... ;-) Mike Peel 23:44, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Well, I have to do something to stop these crazy rumours about getting me on the board... You'll be pleased to hear I have found my cheque book, written the cheque, addressed an envelope, put everything in it, sealed it and put a stamp on it. Now, it should only be a couple more weeks before I remember to post it! --Tango 00:20, 2 February 2009 (UTC)

Target list

Just thought of some new photo ideas for it:

These deserve to be increased a bit more, in my opinion, as the lack of coverage of those on Commons is a weak point. I would take the photos, but I currently don't have the time do such things myself. I'm sure there are some people who would happily do this for Wikimedia UK's target list. Just a thought/suggestion. --Kexford 16:24, 19 October 2009 (UTC)

Thanks for the suggestions. I take it that this was referring to Britain Loves Wikipedia? If so, I'm not sure that these targets are appropriate - BLW focuses on taking photographs of objects within museums - although something along the lines of Wikipedia Takes Manhattan might work well for this. Mike Peel 14:38, 20 October 2009 (UTC)

Liverpool Library Wikimedia Presentation Day

Please could someone mention this at the next meeting, I feel this may be of interest if it can be organized properly. --Kexford 20:08, 20 October 2009 (UTC)

RE: Liverpool Central Library

I don't have any connections with the library itself, but it is the city's major library, and next door to an art gallery and aquarium, so photos could be taken for the photo project, and (although I'm not certain) I believe they have done presentations there in the past.

I suppose, with the amount of references they have in book/newspaper etc. format, in theory, a collective editing day could happen with photos going to Commons and a page on here? --Kexford 09:48, 29 October 2009 (UTC)

Torres

You might want to delete this page, it appears to be vandalism. Camaron · Christopher · talk 17:39, 15 November 2009 (UTC)

Press releases/Free online news

What is to be done about this release? Has it already gone out, or has it been abandoned? Microchip08 14:47, 29 January 2010 (UTC)

It's not gone out yet, but it's not abandoned - it's in limbo until we find a suitable occasion to send it out. It's unlikely to be covered as a news item on its own, but if it goes out at the same time as someone e.g. announces that they're putting up a paywall then it might get covered at the same time. Mike Peel 14:52, 29 January 2010 (UTC)

Username change

I am not aware of any page on this project to request renames, but since you are a bureaucrat, I thought I should ask you directly. For various reasons I am having my username changed across Wikimedia Projects. If possible, could please change my username from Camaron to CT Cooper. Here is proof that I control the CT Cooper account name. Thanks in advance. Camaron · Christopher · talk 20:09, 16 June 2010 (UTC)

Hello. I've renamed your account - you're now User:CT Cooper. Thanks. Mike Peel 20:18, 16 June 2010 (UTC)
Thank you for the quick response. Camaron · Christopher · talk 21:55, 16 June 2010 (UTC)

[[1]]

Be careful - the majority of my stuff is from material in my own collection. The Rob Roy image, although now removed, has no connection to any institutional archive. 86.165.143.94 06:17, 17 June 2010 (UTC)

Update

Mike, your WMUK position is in need of an update. Charles Matthews 10:35, 24 October 2010 (UTC)

If you're meaning the one on my user page, that's now updated; thanks. If you're meaning a different one, could you let me know which? ;-) Thanks. Mike Peel 11:19, 24 October 2010 (UTC)

Comments footer

Hi Mike, I just wanted to let you know that the comments footer already exists at Template:Newsletter/Comments footer. Is it worth merging them or something? Thanks, Rock drum (talkcontribs) 09:46, 11 December 2010 (UTC)

Yes, they probably should be merged. I didn't realize that the template already existed, as it wasn't in use on the pages. Thanks. Mike
I was already using it on some of the other pages, but not on the individual features ones as I wanted it to be for their talk pages, not the one onto which they were transcluded. Thanks, Rock drum (talkcontribs) 11:54, 11 December 2010 (UTC)

GLAM in Derby

Mike, I have outline agreement with Derby Museum to do a GLAM event next year. I am proposing that this could be used as a basis for other GLAM events during the year. I'm looking for a wikimedia insider e.g. committee member, who can ensure that this is done with wikimedia's knowledge and backing. Budget is likely to be small but I would like to use the marketing resource. An outline of the proposal is here. I have looked at Wikimedia UK pages for where to lodge ideas and I found pages created by you. Hence this note. Roger Victuallers 11:06, 15 December 2010 (UTC)

Hello Roger, I am based in Derby and a regular WP user and contributor - [2] - interested in hearing about this as you go along and if you want assistance/involvement, give me a shout at my talk page. Thanks. James. Jamesinderbyshire 18:28, 5 January 2011 (UTC)
Sad to here you're too busy. And this was so close ... however thanks for your help. Victuallers 22:47, 6 April 2011 (UTC)
I'm very sorry I can't make it - I'd love to come! Unfortunately, the last few weeks have exhausted me, and left me with a big backlog of work, so I need to spend a weekend in Manchester to recouperate and catch up on everything. Best of luck with the event, and if there's anything I can do from afar please let me know! Mike Peel 07:41, 7 April 2011 (UTC)

WikiConf timing

Hi looking at the fleshed out agenda, it's probably worth noting that I booked a train to arrive in Bristol at 9.39 which probably means I'd be just in time for 10. I'm happy to stick to a 10.20 presentation slot, but it might be sensible to have a plan B in the unlikely event my train is delayed... obviously I'd send in a text in advance from the train if this was happening so there would be no need for a last minute panic. Cheers 23:41, 8 April 2011 (UTC)

OK, thanks for letting me/us know. I'm sure we can rearrange things on the day to cope with any last-minute panics by moving talks around a little. Thanks. Mike Peel 08:36, 9 April 2011 (UTC)

British Film Institute

Has Wikimedia UK tried approaching the BFI or considered it? They have some film which might be in the public domain and I thought it might at least be worth asking to see if they're willing to release some to Wikimedia. It came to my attention while a wikiproject I'm a member of was discussing an 8-minute film from 1901 by Mitchell and Kenyon. Though Kenyon died in 1925, Mitchell lived in 1952 so as the rule of thumb is 70 years beyond the creators' death before their materials are in the public domain I don't think this example works, but there may be something in their collection Wikimedia could use. Nev1 22:45, 22 September 2011 (UTC)

Hi Nev. I don't think we've approached BFI, but User:Fæ would know. The main thing we're lacking at the moment is volunteers to liaise with different organisations. If you want to follow this up, then it's probably a good idea to send them an email about a specific case - I'm sure we can provide technical assistance, and/or sign an MoU with them, if needed. Thanks. Mike Peel 20:04, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
If you fancy talking with their archivist, it would be an interesting clarification. I vaguely recall them having a fundamental issue around copyright so that their policy had to be incredibly conservative when judging if a film could be released from the archive and they tend to allow access on a non-commercial basis only. As you probably know everyone ever credited has to be long dead to be certain about being sued by some estate. It would be an interesting case study either way. See http://www.bfi.org.uk/nationalarchive/about/ -- 18:22, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
Just spotted this whie enjoying my favourite string about French words - bon mots if ever there were any?! Hundreds of years ago I was made an Associate of the BFI for my lecturing skills in French cinema so I have ins there. If we ever want to take this up I can make contact.Jon Davies (WMUK) (talk) 10:18, 6 December 2012 (UTC)

Hmm

[3] I would tend to trust the Cambridge Dictionary over Wiktionary, but to each man his own. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 17:16, 28 September 2011 (UTC)

In wikis I trust. If it's wrong on Wiktionary, please fix it. :-) Mike Peel 18:06, 28 September 2011 (UTC)

Reports 19Nov11

I was just about to copyedit that too ;-) Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry 14:58, 16 November 2011 (UTC)

 :-) Mike Peel 14:58, 16 November 2011 (UTC)

Freedom of information request

Please see my note here. Were you involved in the 26 September letter to UKCC? Please let me know. Thanks. Peter Damian 09:20, 24 December 2011 (UTC)

Hi Mike

Thanks for your work on the agenda, I went to do it and magically it was done. Victuallers 20:19, 31 January 2012 (UTC)

You're welcome. There's still more to do, though... ;-) Mike Peel 20:20, 31 January 2012 (UTC)

WikiConference UK 2012

Hi Mike,

I've put some ideas down at Talk:WikiConference UK 2012#Ideas for subjects/ speakers but no one has made any comments. Any thoughts? I'm thinking Sennett may be appropriate for a keynote speaker but I don't know how people decide these things.

Yaris678 (talk) 13:34, 19 March 2012 (UTC)

Flower Arranging

Hi Mike, are you offering to work on the Flower Arranging article for wikiversity?Leutha (talk) 21:58, 22 April 2012 (UTC)

I'm hopeless at flower arranging. ;-) It's just a standard "random example" that I hear used a lot, and hence it was the first thing that came to my mind when I was replying to your question (and it's completely coincidental that my orchid plant is just about to burst into flower again...). Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 22:01, 22 April 2012 (UTC)

Links from the blog

Hi Mike, do you do the technical maintenance of the blog at http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/ ? If not, please ignore the following.

The nine links from the top banner seem to be acquiring a malformed url for their destination: for example the 'Donate' link points to http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Donate - which ends up being redirected (probably via a 404 intercept) to the Main Page - whereas it should point at http://donate.wikimedia.org.uk/ as it does in the navigation in the left column. Unfortunately the link to 'Discussion' on the blog page suffers a similar fate, so I can't even raise this issue on the relevant talk page!

Catch up with you soon, -- Doug --RexxS (talk) 12:15, 7 June 2012 (UTC)

Hi Doug. Thanks for catching that! The links should now be fixed; please let me know if you spot any which still don't work. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 19:07, 10 June 2012 (UTC)

Fundraising

See Fundraising system spec. —Tom Morris (talk) 15:52, 8 August 2012 (UTC)

While chasing spambots

Gday Mike. I was just closing out some spambots locally (and I see that there is a bit of a collection here) I came across a less usual set of account creations. I have done nothing beyond note here. billinghurst sDrewth 10:26, 13 October 2012 (UTC)

Virement

It is an English word - see http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/virement?q=virement - though I thought it was an overly technical one at the time. -- (talk) 22:38, 27 November 2012 (UTC)

Not according to Wiktionary, which notes that it is from a French word (but please edit as appropriate!). Certainly, however, 'viring' is not a word! Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 22:42, 27 November 2012 (UTC)
An "English terms derived from French". ;-) KTC (talk) 22:48, 27 November 2012 (UTC)
So, French? ;-) Mike Peel (talk) 22:50, 27 November 2012 (UTC)
About a third of the words in the English language come from French. They are still English words. --Tango (talk) 22:51, 27 November 2012 (UTC)
I think you might be reading the etymology on Wiktionary as part of the definition. In this case both the OED and Wiktionary agree. -- (talk) 23:00, 27 November 2012 (UTC)
Apparently they don't agree clearly enough. Mike Peel (talk) 00:16, 28 November 2012 (UTC)
Apparently not, although that may say more about you than it does the dictionaries... --Tango (talk) 01:30, 28 November 2012 (UTC)
It probably does. But then, the Wikimedia projects exist to teach people what they don't yet know, and in this case I didn't know the word 'virement' and still remain confused about its meaning after looking at the relevant wiki pages. So I'd encourage those more knowledgeable about this term than myself to improve the relevant pages. :-) Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 01:37, 28 November 2012 (UTC)
I think the pages are fine... what part of "The transfer of a surplus from one account to cover a deficit in another." is difficult to understand? That's exactly what we're doing, so it seems to be the right word (although, I'll confess, I hadn't heard it until the board meeting). --Tango (talk) 01:47, 28 November 2012 (UTC)
Well, 'transfer', 'surplus' and 'account' are somewhat ambiguous. In the case of WMUK, we're reallocating funds rather than transferring (there's no physical movement); 'surplus' can apply to many different things (in this case it is funds rather than, say, onions), and we're not moving anything between accounts (assuming this refers to bank accounts)... But we're straying somewhat from the matter at hand here. :-) Mike Peel (talk) 01:58, 28 November 2012 (UTC)
In accounting, "account" has a much broader meaning that just a bank account - most accounts are just ways to keep things organised in your books. But to get back to the matter at hand, virement is an English word, it has the meaning we want and it was the word used in the meeting, so it probably is the word we should be using in the minutes. --Tango (talk) 02:25, 28 November 2012 (UTC)

Microgrants/Paralympics

Mike, did those promised uploads to Wikimedia Commons related to the above microgrant ever materialise? I can't see any off-hand. Andreas JN 12:32, 29 November 2012 (UTC)

They did - I've seen them - but they've not yet been uploaded. The volunteer who took the photos works all over Europe, and so doesn't edit very often (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Marek69) - but I have seen the photos. They range from images taken out and about in London of Olympians, through to poorer-quality images taken from the centre of the stadium during the closing ceremony. Richard Symonds (WMUK) (talk) 16:07, 29 November 2012 (UTC)
Be careful with the stadium shots. Ticket conditions at IOC and IPC prevent commercial licensing of photos from within Olympic/Paralympic competition venues. An uploader is at legal risk. Commons hosts pics from Flickr where the Flickr user has taken the risk (knowingly/unknowingly), but I'd advise against it for any law-abiding Wikimedian. I even turned down a trip to London because they even imposed this condition on accredited photographers. --124.149.178.155 21:43, 29 November 2012 (UTC)
You've seen them, but none of the donors of that money have. Andreas JN 00:01, 3 December 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for your interest. I'm talking with Marek about the microgrant and the complexities of the copyright law that applies here, and an update will be posted on it soon. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 21:03, 3 December 2012 (UTC)
Has the microgrant been paid? TheOverflow (talk) 23:08, 3 December 2012 (UTC)
Yes, and I'm currently uploading only off-site images until the copyright issues are resolved -- Marek.69 talk 17:11, 4 December 2012 (UTC)

Category:Board meetings 2012

Hi Mike, the above category includes meetings scheduled to be held in 2013. Are they there because they come before the 2013 AGM or should they go into Category:Board meetings 2013? Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 14:01, 8 January 2013 (UTC)

It's probably best to categorise them between AGMs rather than per year, so they match board terms. Perhaps the category should be renamed to Category:Board meetings 2012-13? Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 18:54, 8 January 2013 (UTC)
I think that's the way to go, I'll get on it. Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 10:39, 10 January 2013 (UTC)
Done and I deleted the empty category. Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 13:41, 10 January 2013 (UTC)
Thanks Richard. :-) Mike Peel (talk) 19:47, 10 January 2013 (UTC)

Technology Committee

Hey Mike - I'm pinging everyone who said they might be interested in being on the Tech Committee to ask them to comment on the talk page about a first meet-up! Check it out and throw your hat into the ring when you have a mo? [4] Katherine Bavage (WMUK) (talk) 14:43, 9 January 2013 (UTC)

Claim of sexist works

If you are going to make public claims about me producing sexist images, then I suggest you follow the proper whistle-blowing procedure so that it can be investigated and I can clear my good name. Thanks -- (talk) 00:44, 31 January 2013 (UTC)

Sorry. I was meaning to refer to the original image rather than the reuse of it. Mike Peel (talk) 20:59, 31 January 2013 (UTC)

Copyright unclear files

A number of the files you tagged as having unclear copyright are work done by a Wikimedia UK employee as part of their employment. The copyright to these clearly belongs to Wikimedia UK. The question then simply becomes whether Wikimedia UK have or will release these files under a free license. KTC (talk) 01:57, 31 January 2013 (UTC)

I think they're CC-BY-SA, but it would be good if the office could clarify that, and tag new files accordingly when uploading them. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 21:00, 31 January 2013 (UTC)

BoardApproved notice

Hi, I think this notice is a useful improvement. Suggestions:

  1. Where there are listed approved past versions, I think the past version should be linked as well as the date and link to the approval document (i.e. the board minutes but with other committees or commissioned reports, this might be elsewhere). There may be confusing differences between the date of approval and the dates that might be found in the document wiki-history.
  2. It is not clear from this notice how a proposed new version would work, or minor format changes or minor corrections for accuracy.
  3. For complex documents, it might be an idea to consider the notice our form of change notice, in which case we might need to also point to a summary change proposal or associated discussions (potentially in more than one location). This might be slightly tangential to the need for the page notice, but a change request process (for key documents) could be worth considering in conjunction with this notice, primarily, I imagine, we would point to the document talk page and this might be a question of shaping that process a little.

Thanks -- (talk) 08:54, 29 March 2013 (UTC)

Tech Comm 2013

I'm scheduling a Tech Comm next week so please pop in your availability on this doodle before Friday! :) Katherine Bavage (WMUK) (talk) 09:54, 10 June 2013 (UTC)

User rights change

Hi, this is to let you know I have requested the removal of your bureaucrats rights on this wiki, which has since been carried out by a Steward, as per the existing policy to restrict bureaucrats rights to current board members and staff. Regards -- Katie Chan (WMUK) (talk) 10:23, 31 July 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for letting me know. Mike Peel (talk) 10:41, 31 July 2013 (UTC)

Member survey - your thoughts appreciated!

Hi there! I am running around today drawing a few specific people's attention to this as something I'm going to develop in the next couple of weeks. I'll announce on the Water cooler and mailing lists but I'm flagging it up to people who have been involved with membership matters or had strong feelings about last years survey questions. Please do throw in some thoughts or edit the questions as they develop :-) Katherine Bavage (WMUK) (talk) 15:01, 14 October 2013 (UTC)

Thank you for your help with the Members' survey

Clipboard.jpg Survey Design
Thank you for drafting so many of the key questions and helping us think about consistency, privacy and good information gathering :) Katherine Bavage (WMUK) (talk) 11:48, 20 November 2013 (UTC)

A barnstar for you!

Barnstar of Diligence Hires.png The Barnstar of Diligence
Thank you for the Membership/Numbers graph :D Katherine Bavage (WMUK) (talk) 11:46, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
Thank you. :-) I try to be helpful! Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 21:44, 3 December 2013 (UTC)

Content of your recent post

Mike, sarcastic personal criticisms of WMUK staff should be avoided, please. They make no contribution whatsoever to our charitable mission, but merely drive volunteers and potential members away. --MichaelMaggs (talk) 11:03, 8 January 2014 (UTC)

I'm sorry, but it wasn't sarcastic. Was that really the best use of staff time, particularly the CE's? Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 12:13, 8 January 2014 (UTC)