Below is the Wikimedia UK monthly report for the period 1st-31st March 2013. If you want to keep up with the chapter's activities as they happen, please subscribe to our blog, join the UK Wikimedia mailing list, and/or follow us on Twitter. If you have any questions or comments, please drop us a line on this report's talk page.
- 1 Program activities
- 2 Administrative activities
- GLAM-WIKI 2013 conference was being planned for 12-14 April 2013, gathering interest from the community.
- Wikimedian in Residence started at Science Museum and Natural History Museum on 11 March 2013. The project will last for 4 months.
- Wikimedian in Residence started at Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums on 28 March 2013. The project will last for 3 months.
Information about microgrants that are currently running, and how to submit a microgrant application of your own, are at Microgrants/Applications.
- Microgrants/KFC was approved. This microgrant covers the purchase of books to enable User:Farrtj, an independent editor who has no affiliations with KFC, to improve the Kentucky Fried Chicken article on the English-language Wikipedia. Farrtj hopes to work the article up to Featured Article quality, and may improve related articles along the way.
- Microgrants/Core Contest (prizes) was approved. The Core Contest, which is currently run by Casliber, encourages community members to improve the most important articles on the English-language Wikipedia. This will be the third WMUK-sponsored Core Contest, and we are providing £250 worth of Amazon vouchers as the prizes for the contest.
- Microgrants/Wrecks on Doom Bar has a status update. The key aims of the grant are to get the English Doom Bar article promoted to Featured Article status and to create a list of wrecks at Doom Bar, perhaps working it up to Featured List status. After using WMUK-purchased resources to enhance the article, the Doom Bar article was nominated at Featured Article Candidates on 5 March.
UK press coverage (and coverage of UK projects & activities)
Blog posts this month
- 1st March - Katie Chan joins Wikimedia UK as Volunteer Support Organiser
- 7th March - Jimmy Wales shows support for Wikimedia UK This post includes a video recording of Jimmy Wales speaking at a special Wikimedia UK media event on 5th March.
- 8th March - Toni Sant joins Wikimedia UK as Education Organiser
- 11th March - GLAM-Wiki - celebrating culture and open access This post is a prelude to our GLAM-Wiki conference.
- 12th March - Wikimedia UK and the Women of the World Festival
- 15th March - Learning and teaching in the age of Wikipedia - This post was written by Dr Martin Poulter, Wikimedia UK Associate, and features an audio interview with David White of the Oxford Internet Institute.
- 15th March - Jonathan Cardy joins Wikimedia UK as GLAM Organiser
- 19th March - Know when to Oldham... announcing an editathon in partnership with Oldham Council.
- 20th March - Researchers: are you Wikipedia-compatible? This post was written by Wikimedia UK Associate, Dr Martin Poulter.
- 21st March - John Cummings begins work as Wikimedian in Residence John's post is in partnership with the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum in London.
- 02 - Cambridge meetup
- 03 - Oxford meetup
- 04 - Introduction to Wikipedia workshop at the British Library
- 05 - Wikimedia UK media event for journalists
- 06 - "Dissecting Wikipedia" talk at CRASSH in Cambridge
- 09 - International Women's Day 2013 Southbank event
- 10 - London meetup
- 13 - Senate House Wikipedia training/March 2013 - led by Andrew Gray
- 15 - Jon Davies talking about Wikimedia UK at the Ethical Property AGM
- 18 - Photograph workshop at the British Library
- 20 - Workshop at the University of Southampton
- 20 - IRC office hours
- 23 - Wikimedia UK open day and workshop
- 26–27 - Martin Poulter presenting on "The Wikipedia Education Program: open educational practice on a global scale" and running a stall in the Open Educational Resources 2013 Conference at the University of Nottingham
- 26 - Board meeting - call
- 27 - Nottingham Wikimeet
For past events please see here.
For events in April and May 2013 and onwards, please see Events.
The Board held a meeting by telephone on Tuesday 26 March 2013. This meeting principally dealt with governance changes that were recommended by the Governance Review, including approving the charters of the Governance Committee and the Audit & Risk Committee. It also covered an update on QRpedia, a modification to the Finance Policy, and the proposed Scheme of Delegation.
Prior to the meeting, the Board passed a resolution approving the motions that it would be proposing to the membership at the Extraordinary General Meeting to be held in April 2013. It also approved new membership applications. Both of these decisions took place on the office wiki, and were confirmed at the board meeting.
News from the Chief Exec
- For information on Jon's activities this month, see News from the Office.
Please see the above links to relevant press coverage received in March.
There was a mixture of communications activity in March. We hosted an event for journalists in central London which was attended by Jimmy Wales. Jimmy's show of support was very welcome and you can see the video of his talk here.
Work began on actually drafting the 2012-13 annual review after community consultation didn't lead to a great deal of participation. A couple more short briefing papers were prepared for Trustees and staff related to potential hot topics.
If you're interested in getting more involved with our communications or have any questions or comments, please email Stevie Benton – stevie.bentonwikimedia.org.uk
Fundraising and Membership
This month, we received £155 in one-off donations, with eight individual donations. The average donation amount was £19.37 - 75% of these donors have had Gift Aid Declarations made and matched with their records. If anyone would like a full (but anonymised) csv file with more information, please get in touch with katherine.bavagewikimedia.org.uk and let her know your requirements.
Please note that March's fundraising data for regular donations will be uploaded soon, pending a response to clarify the data from our payment provider. This page will be edited to reflect the amounts as soon as the data is provided.
Up to 31st March 2013:
- 178 new (membership commenced in preceding three months) and current members - with 13 new join-ups in March.
- 94 'grace' members (membership within six months after date membership should be renewed)
- This adds up to 272 members who were eligible to vote
- 10 Expired members