Reports 13Jul13

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to: navigation, search

Below are the Board, Staff and Committee action statuses and reports to the Board Meeting on 13 July 2013; see Agenda 13Jul13.

Reports placed on this page will be provided to the WMUK trustees in advance of the meeting both/either digitally (via links to this page) and/or by paper (when requested by a trustee). The opportunity for other trustees to ask questions about these reports will be provided during the meeting. Anything that needs to be discussed, or needs a decision or resolution, should be included in the main agenda rather than being included on this page.

Please do not alter the 'outstanding actions' section except to update the current status of those. If you add or record any actions upon yourself that have not been raised in past meetings, then please add them under 'other actions'.

Templates for actions: {{done}} Yes check.svg Done, {{cf}} Go-next-red.svg Carried forward, {{canc}} X mark.svg Cancelled.

Please ask questions on the talk page.

Staff[edit | edit source]

Reports from staff members[edit | edit source]

Other staff reports[edit | edit source]

In-camera staff reports (not publicly available)[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

  1. (30 Jun 12) JD and staff to assemble a list of the key metrics for assessing the performance of the organisation. Yes check.svg Done On quarterly review and being put into 2014-15 FDC bid.
  2. (8 Sep 12) KB, KC to work on a joining pack for new members. End of September.
  3. (17 Nov 12) KB to review whether vetting of members is needed, assess how other organisations do this, and provide a recommendation to the Board. Yes check.svg Done
  4. (9 Feb) JD & MP to work on the General Committee Charter (taking into account Draft report on sub-committees) Superseded sent to Govcom.
  5. (26 Mar) JD to add the risk of sock members to the risk register and evaluate it accordingly. KB reported. Yes check.svg Done
  6. (11 May) CK and JD to collaborate on a revised version of the five-year plan and review the schedule if necessary Yes check.svg Done
  7. (11 May) Staff reports to be approved by the Board need to be in pack and are not counted as part of 1 side of A4 Yes check.svg Done
  8. (11 May) Office to put out a blog post congratulating the Wikimania bid team. Yes check.svg Done
  9. (11 May) GD and JD to produce a draft trustees report to be considered by audit and risk in time for the AGM. Review produced and printed. Yes check.svg Done
  10. (11 May) Policy (WHICH ?)to be reviewed December 2013. JD to propose to the Board, and JD re practicalities of system.
  11. (11 May) Staff to present the Q1 financial report to next board meetingYes check.svg Done
  12. (11 May) JD and GD to look into where to vire budget for the Living Paths project from and to provide a recommendation to the board.Yes check.svg Done
  13. (11 May) GD, SC and JD to plan for setting up a Welsh based joint liaison group to be set up and possibly incorporated. Aim is for this group to handle all of the funding, and for any key funder to have the right to pause the project. First preference is for all funding through WMUK, to ensure that all of the money is spent according to our already-established policies. Should that not be possible, then we would have a joint entity that would manage the funds and we would need to have strong governance input into that, including the right of a veto. Quarterly reporting will be expected to the Wikimedia UK Board. Outcome reported to board. Yes check.svg Done
  14. (11 May) JD to write letter of intent with regards the Living Paths projectYes check.svg Done
  15. (11 May) SC, with JD and GD's support, to draft grant control agreement for the Living Paths project - drawing on appropriate models including GAC, Wikimedian in Residence, and others as necessary.Yes check.svg Done
  16. (11 May) JD and DT and KC to define a process for an improved review with the aim of involving other volunteers (ideally a suitable volunteer to lead the process) including consultation with members, volunteers and staff and possibly involvement another chapter ie. Wikimedia Poland. As a guideline the report will aim to be around 6-8 pages. Drafts written and published on wiki - coming to July board. Yes check.svg Done Report received by September board.

Trustees[edit | edit source]

All trustees[edit | edit source]

  1. (17 Nov 12) All Directors to check if their details are current on the Register of Directors.
  2. (17 Nov 12) Board to clarify what reports are required for each meeting.

Chris Keating (Chair)[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

  1. (26 Mar) CK to ensure that the Governance Review implementation document remains on the Agenda until such time as all the issues are resolved. Symbol wait.svg Doing...
  2. (11 May) CK to ensure that the July Board meeting will consider the level of detail needed for the 2014 Activity Plan.
  3. (11 May) CK and JD to collaborate on a revised version of the five-year plan and review the schedule if necessary
  4. (11 May) CK to reply to the WMF's letter about fundraising including an alternative proposal, to be sent around to the board before it is sent to the WMF.

Michael Peel (Secretary)[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

  1. (6 June) Was on the interview panel for the National Library of Scotland Wikimedian in Residence position, along with two NLS staff members. There were many very high quality applicants for this position, which was fantastic to see, and the decision came down to two amazing candidates. I'm not sure whether the appointment has been announced yet, though.
  2. (19 June) Attended Wici Cymru meeting. A report was sent by email to the board on the 20th June. The key points were that Wici Cymru is currently an informal entity that is now applying to become a Charitable Incorporated Organisation due to the Living Paths project (funded by Geovation and the Welsh Government); they are reviewing the draft agreements with WMUK; and they've adopted copies of our Conflict of Interest and Child Protection policies. I've encouraged them to get in touch with the WMF's Affiliation Committee, and to also adopt a derivative of our financial policy.
  3. (26 June) Was on the interview panel for the Living Paths manager position, along with Jon Davies and Martin Evans-Jones. Only one person applied for the position, but the panel agreed at the shortlisting stage that it wasn't necessary to re-advertise as it was a specialised position. The interview took place in Wrexham, and it was unanimously agreed to appoint the applicant. The appointment of Robin Owain was announced on 2 July.
  4. (9 July) The Charity Commission and Companies House have been informed about the change of trustees as a result of the 2013 AGM, and CH have accepted the submissions.

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

  1. (9 Oct 12) MP to assemble a list of public and in-camera minutes which are ready for approval or have previously been approved, and set up a voting page on the office wiki to approve them and decide whether they should be made public or not. New in-camera minutes will be posted to the board wiki for now, and moved onto the office or public wikis as the board decides. Office to assist MP wherever possible.
  2. (17 Nov 12) MP to assemble a list of unapproved minutes to be approved at the next board meeting.
  3. (11 May 12) MP to liaise with Richard Nevell to prepare past board meeting minutes and to propose their approval via an on-wiki decision.
    Symbol wait.svg Doing... see Decisions/Approval of past minutes. Now with office support (thanks Richard Nevell!).
  4. (9 Feb) JD & MP to work on the General Committee Charter (taking into account Draft report on sub-committees) Go-next-red.svg Carried forward
    Still needs work before it's ready to approve. Mike Peel (talk) 21:20, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
  5. (11 May) MP and JD to propose a revision of the Activity Plan that separates out the budget from the details of the activities, which will be put forward for approval as an on-wiki decision.
  6. (11 May) GD and MP to draft updates to articles to be proposed at AGM, amend artices to reflect 2012 name change, and five original subscribers need to be reinserted to Articles

Greyham Dawes (Treasurer)[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

  1. (11 May) GD to discuss membership vetting with Kat Bavage, and return a recommendation to the board.Yes check.svg Done
  2. (11 May) GD to collaborate with JD and Richard Symonds to link the report to the BudgetYes check.svg Done
  3. (11 May) GD and JD to produce a draft trustees report to be considered by audit and risk in time for the AGM.Yes check.svg Done
  4. (11 May) Recommendation to be put forward for how budget holders should be accountable to the board. GD to liaise with Richard Symonds [cf]
  5. (11 May) GD and MP to draft updates to articles to be proposed at AGM, amend artices to reflect 2012 name change, and five original subscribers need to be reinserted to Articles Yes check.svg Done
  6. (11 May) JD and GD to look into where to vire budget for the Living Paths project from and to provide a recommendation to the board.Yes check.svg Done
  7. (11 May) GD, SC and JD to plan for setting up a Welsh based joint liaison group to be set up and possibly incorporated. Aim is for this group to handle all of the funding, and for any key funder to have the right to pause the project. First preference is for all funding through WMUK, to ensure that all of the money is spent according to our already-established policies. Should that not be possible, then we would have a joint entity that would manage the funds and we would need to have strong governance input into that, including the right of a veto. Quarterly reporting will be expected to the Wikimedia UK Board.Yes check.svg Done
  8. (11 May) SC, with JD and GD's support, to draft grant control agreement for the Living Paths project - drawing on appropriate models including GAC, Wikimedian in Residence, and others as necessary.Yes check.svg Done

Saad Choudri[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

  1. (17 Nov 12) SC to take a look at the Trustee DOI Review and soften it where needed.
  2. (8 Jan) SC and DT to continue discussions about QRpedia with RB Yes check.svg Done
  3. (9 Feb) SC to review WMUK/Bid Team MoU over the next few weeks. Yes check.svg Done
  4. (11 May) GD, SC and JD to plan for setting up a Welsh based joint liaison group to be set up and possibly incorporated. Aim is for this group to handle all of the funding, and for any key funder to have the right to pause the project. First preference is for all funding through WMUK, to ensure that all of the money is spent according to our already-established policies. Should that not be possible, then we would have a joint entity that would manage the funds and we would need to have strong governance input into that, including the right of a veto. Quarterly reporting will be expected to the Wikimedia UK Board.
  5. (11 May) SC, with JD and GD's support, to draft grant control agreement for the Living Paths project - drawing on appropriate models including GAC, Wikimedian in Residence, and others as necessary.

Fae[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

Michael Maggs[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

Alastair McCapra[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

Board Committees[edit | edit source]

Governance[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

The board is asked to take note of the recent Govcom meeting:

Recommendations[edit | edit source]

1. In connection with co-options, the committee recommends that the board:

Co-options
  • Accepts that the identified candidates for co-option should go forward to the next stage (but without any firm commitment to co-opt any of them)
  • Agrees to informal meetings with the candidates, with all board members and the CEO being given an opportunity to meet all of them in advance of any final decision
  • Determines a process for taking a decision on which candidates (if any) should be co-opted (including possible interview) at the September board meeting. In other words, decide on procedure now and potentially co-opt at the September meeting.

2. The committee recommends that the board ratifies Govcom's current priorities, as follows:

Govcom current priorities
  • Governance review recommendations. Continue to work towards implementation, carefully but with expedition.
  • Board and volunteer alignment. An important issue that Govcom intends to review.
  • Govcom charter. Govcom to review its own charter in the light of ongoing experience and advise the main board whether any amendments would be desirable.
  • Associate policy. To be considered further by Govcom, as part of 'volunteer alignment', above. No action needed immediately, but we suggest that no new associates should be created until policy has been updated and agreed.

3. The committee recommends that the board ratify the following as a suitable basis for seeking tenders for the first audit following the Governance Review (recommendation 17):

Draft tender specification for review consultant

Governance audit for Wikimedia UK

Wikimedia UK ('WMUK') is looking for a consultant to conduct a short independent audit of governance, and in particular of the progress the charity has made in governance issues this year. In January 2013, Mike Hudson of Compass Partnership completed a comprehensive review of our governance. The published Governance Review included 50 recommendations, one of which was that further external audits should be commissioned to take place nine and eighteen months after publication.

Tenders are invited to carry out the first of these external audits. Subject to satisfactory completion of the first audit, there may be an opportunity to tender for the second as well, which is likely to be more extensive.

In line with the Governance Review recommendations, candidates for this role should be comfortable addressing behavioural as well as compliance issues.

Proposed scope of the audit

1. Provide a brief assessment of the charity's progress to date against each of the recommendations of the Governance Review

2. Make suggestions as appropriate for advancing progress against the Governance Review recommendations

3. Provide brief comments on the charity's current governance arrangements in comparison with those of a typical UK charity of a similar age and size

Proposed list of tasks

1. Read Governance Review and background papers, and attend inception meeting with CEO and Chairs of the board of trustees and the governance committee

2. Review board papers, minutes and correspondence

3. Obtain feedback from and discuss governance progress with with CEO, staff and board members (including meetings as needed)

4. Prepare draft written report, and discuss with the charity's governance committee and/or main board

5. Provide final report and feedback in person to the board at their September 2013 meeting

In line with the charity's open mission, it is intended that the final written report will be published online, and the author should be prepared to agree a suitable copyright licence (eg CC-BY-SA) to allow that to happen.

Tender

Please include the following information with your tender:

  • A description of your previous engagement in such work, especially in the not for profit sector.
  • Two referees, preferably from organisations similar in size/age/growth rate to WMUK who can attest to the quality of your work.
  • A description of the methodology you would employ.
  • Your fee for the work including all extras.

Closing date

The final closing date for tenders is: xx/xx/xxxx


About Wikimedia UK

Wikimedia UK is a UK charity that promotes and supports Wikipedia, its sister projects, and other open educational resources in the UK. Following the principles of Wikipedia, we are a volunteer-led organisation, and volunteers have a central role in all our activities. We were established in 2008 and were granted UK charitable status in 2011. We are one of over thirty similar associations in countries around the world, recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation but operationally and legal independent. We work with individuals, museums, universities, businesses and media companies to make freely licensed content available and to help other people re-use open content. We seek to have a close relationship with other open content organizations in the UK, and with the global community of Wikimedia readers and editors.

Useful information

The Governance Review can be seen at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_UK_gov_review_rpt_v5.pdf

Further information can be obtained from the CEO, Jon Davies jon.davies@wikimedia.org.uk or from our Governance Committee chair, Michael Maggs michael.maggs@wikimedia.org.uk.

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

Audit and Risk[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

  1. (11 May) Audit and Risk committee to identify non-activity-plan issues that should be included in the traffic light system
  2. (11 May) DT to publish the actions from the 29 April 2013 Audit and Risk Committee meeting.

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

Non-board Committees[edit | edit source]

Conference[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

Education[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Written by Charles Matthews, 1 July 2013.

The minutes of the most recent meeting of 28 May are posted at Education_Committee/Education_Committee_meeting_28_May_2013. This report includes some supplementary points and updates.

Train the Trainer review[edit | edit source]

The Midas training scheme is under review, led by Jon Davies. Those who have had the training weekend have been asked to complete an online survey.

Mike Peel asked the committee to look at metrics that could apply to the workshop training programme as a whole. There is no consensus on the committee as to the value of such metrics. Some email discussion produced the page Training_Metrics. This is indicative only of what might be done, and doesn’t constitute a recommendation.

EduWiki Conference 2013[edit | edit source]

EduWiki_Conference_2013 - The organizational work is ongoing, and the wiki page may not reflect that.

Virtual Learning Environment[edit | edit source]

The VLE has both educational and technical aspects, and now has a bugzilla tracking system on the Tech Wiki. Files from the commercial hosting have been migrated to the WMUK hosting; as an unintended consequence the site hosted by E-learn Design is now offline. The combination wiki+Moodle site in the WMUK hosting is now reported by Tom Morton to be in working order, as far as the authentication (single sign-on) software is concerned.

The next step, based on the Education Committee’s discussion, is to configure the new system for community editing, and it is projected that the required adaptation work of a transclusion module will be given high developer priority in July. When the desired system is there, it would be possible to hold a workshop day to progress the project as a whole.

SEEG student project[edit | edit source]

Five student submissions for this assessed project at the University of Oxford are linked from w:en:Wikipedia:PHP2013.

Board Liaison[edit | edit source]

Doug Taylor has stepped down.

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

GLAM[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]

Technology[edit | edit source]

Report[edit | edit source]

Outstanding actions[edit | edit source]