It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice - American proverb
I'm a certified Lead Trainer for Wikimedia UK in Membership Development (which means reaching out to new audiences and getting them to take their first steps as Wikipedians) and a trained Campus Ambassador as part of the Wikipedia Education Program. I have been media trained and have a few media appearances (mostly local radio) under my belt.
At the 2016 Annual General Meeting I was named UK Wikimedian of the Year 2016!
From October 2016 to October 2017, I am working as the Wikimedian In Residence at the University of Oxford, based at the Bodleian Libraries. My project is about embedding Wikimedia projects in researchers' and educators' work in the university.
From April 2015 to March 2016, I was employed as Wikimedian In Residence at the Bodleian Libraries, Oxford. From June 2013 to April 2014, I was the Jisc Wikimedia Ambassador, running a project to explore overlaps between Jisc, Wikimedia, and academia in general.
On English Wikipedia I have more than eleven thousand edits, mainly in the area of psychology. I have four thousand manual edits on Wikidata, hundreds on Wikibooks, four thousand on Wikisource, and thousands of edits cataloguing scientific images on Commons.
I got my PhD from the University of Bristol and am presently employed there running the web sites for a national teaching support project. Part of my present job involves advocating open education, and giving workshops/ presentations to university staff about free licensing and remixing. For two and a half years until May 2014, I also worked in communications for a major health research project. I have taught symbolic logic and introduction to philosophy at the university.
I invented the EduWiki Conference (based on an original drink with Fabian Tompsett) and the Wikipedia Science Conference (although Wikimedia Deutschland have been doing something very similar for a long time).
I was on the board of Wikimedia UK from April 2011 to May 2012. For the period September 2012 to mid-June 2013, I was an Associate of Wikimedia UK focusing on building partnerships with academia, stepping down to seek a related job.
Opinion Essays[edit | edit source]
Activity summary[edit | edit source]
- Publications and interviews
For a summary of publications and interviews about Wikimedia and Wikipedia, see my Wikipedia user page.
- Workshops and presentations
|Training workshops led or run solo||Capacity|
|Oxford Symposium on Food & Cookery wikithon||07 July 2017||Volunteer|
|Women in German Studies 2017||22 June 2017||Bodleian|
|"Wikimedia tools (for historic texts)", the GW4 Archives Hackday, University of Cardiff||24 April 2017||Jisc|
|Improving Wikipedia in your subject area||03 March 2017||Bodleian|
|Trainer training Oxford 2017||27 January 2017||Bodleian|
|UWE Wikipedia event||14 June 2016||Volunteer|
|Women in Wikipedia editathon for women's history month||23 March 2016||Bodleian|
|Tudor Music editathon 2016 (with Faculty of Music, Oxford University)||05 February 2016||Bodleian|
|Editathon at the Oxford Internet Institute for Wikipedia's 15th birthday||15 January 2016||Bodleian|
|Free Speech Debate training workshop, University of Oxford||03 December 2015||Bodleian|
|World War I editathon: Oxford at War, University of Oxford||10 November 2015||Bodleian|
|Under the bonnet of Wikipedia, University of Oxford||04 November 2015||Bodleian|
|Wikipedia image-a-thon: Women in Science, University of Oxford||15 October 2015||Bodleian|
|Wikipedia improve-a-thon: Women in Science, University of Oxford||14 October 2015||Bodleian|
|Wikipedia editathon for Ada Lovelace Day, University of Oxford||13 October 2015||Bodleian|
|Wikisource transcribe-a-thon: Women in Science, University of Oxford||12 October 2015||Bodleian|
|Vatican library and Bodleian library workshop||07 July 2015||Bodleian|
|Wikipedia at NIMR training session/ editathon||13 November 2014||Volunteer|
|Wellcome Library editathon||26 February 2014||Jisc|
|Veterinary Science editathon||20 November 2013||Jisc|
|British Psychological Society workshop||10 April 2013||Volunteer|
|Two Knowledge Café sessions at the NIACE/ BBC Digital Learning conference||04 December 2012||Volunteer|
|JISC Digital Infrastructure Team workshop||08 October 2012||Volunteer|
|Science Learning Centre South West workshop||05 March 2012||Volunteer|
|Oxford Free Speech Debate workshop||27 January 2012||Volunteer|
|Bristol Girl Geeks Wikipedia editing event||15 January 2012||Volunteer|
|Institute of Physics Workshop||01 September 2011||Volunteer|
|Bristol Wiki Academy 2||04 July 2011||Volunteer|
|Bristol Wiki Academy 1||19 March 2011||Volunteer|
|"Gamifying Wikimedia – Learning through Play" at OER17: The Politics of Open, London||06 April 2017|
|Wikisource showcase/ transcribe-a-thon at Repository Fringe 2016||02 August 2016|
|Campus Ambassador training workshop (introductory) at EduWiki Conference 2014||31 October 2014|
|"Citation needed: Editing Wikipedia, a hands-on fringe event" at Open Educational Resources conference 2014||29 April 2014|
|Ada Lovelace Day: Women in Science editathon at Oxford University||15 October 2013|
|Coventry medical Wiki workshop||31 August 2012|
|Wiki Wildlife Bristol (2 workshops)||15 September 2011|
|Girl Geek Dinner 1, Bristol||11 August 2011|
|Medical Research Council Workshop, London||01 July 2011|
|Cancer Research UK Workshop||28 March 2011|
|Presentations to researchers, educators, and GLAM staff||Capacity|
|"Wikidata: Knowledge Representation the Easy Way" lecture at Digital Humanities Summer School||05 July 2018||Oxford|
|"The Convergence of Open: Open Access, Education, Data and Culture" Reproducibility and Open Research seminar, All Souls College, Oxford||02 May 2018||Oxford|
|"Wikidata, the Semantic Web and the Emerging Global Knowledge Base" 15-minute presentation at OER 18||18 April 2018||Economics Network (but reporting on work done at Oxford)|
|"Wikidata for researchers" 5 minute lightning talk at Workshop on collaborative research in Digital Humanities, Museums and Collections, and Publishing, University of Oxford||06 April 2018||Oxford|
|"Wikidata: Knowledge as a Service" 1-hour seminar at the Oxford e-Research Centre (OeRC)||28 February 2018||Oxford|
|"The Open Data Revolution" 20-minute presentation about Wikidata||08 November 2017||Economics Network|
|"Wikipedia, Wikimedia, and GLAMs", 2-hour seminar for staff in University of Reading museums||20 September 2017||Consultant|
|"Wikipedia's sister projects as platforms for Digital Humanities" masterclass at Digital Humanities at Oxford Summer School (DXOxSS)||06 July 2017||Bodleian|
|"Free knowledge about mental health for everyone", lunchtime talk at Department of Psychiatry||24 May 2017||Bodleian|
|Presentation to medical librarians at the Cairns Library, John Radcliffe Hospital||24 May 2017||Bodleian|
|"Working with the Open Culture movement", Session 5 (for library staff in the University of Oxford)||18 May 2017||Bodleian|
|"Integration of CDLI Wiki and Wikipedia: Wikipedia tools" Half-hour presentation at AssyrOnline workshop, Oxford||04 May 2017||Bodleian|
|(with Ewan McAndrew) "Citation Needed: Digital Provenance in the era of Post-Truth Politics" Lightning talk at OER17: The Politics of Open, London (Video at University of Edinburgh)||06 April 2017||Bodleian|
|"Putting Wikipedia and Open Practice into the mainstream in a University", 15-minute presentation at OER17: The Politics of Open, London (Slides on SlideShare) (Video at University of Edinburgh)||05 April 2017||Bodleian|
|"Embedding Wikipedia and Open Knowledge in Oxford University", 30-minute presentation for the Technology Enhanced Learning group, IT Services, University of Oxford||04 November 2016||Bodleian|
|"A New Look at Wikimedia, the World’s Largest OER" 1-hour webinar hosted by the Open Education Special Interest Group (OESIG) of the Association for Learning Technology (ALT) (webinar recording) (Storify of Twitter reactions)||26 October 2016||Bodleian|
|"Human Civilization in a Subroutine" 90 minute talk at XML Summer School, Oxford||14 September 2016||Volunteer|
|"Open Science and the Opportunities for Engagement" 20 minute talk at National Heritage Science Forum, London||08 September 2016||Volunteer|
|"Your OERs will outlive you: Open Education in the long term" Opening Keynote at Repository Fringe 2016, University of Edinburgh (review by Hardy Scwamm of Lancaster University)||01 August 2016||Volunteer|
|"Open Education on Wikipedia's sister projects" 15-min session at the Open Educational Resources conference 2016, University of Edinburgh||20 April 2016||Volunteer|
|Introduction to Wikisource: 30-min session at the Open Educational Resources conference 2016, University of Edinburgh||20 April 2016||Volunteer|
|"Working with the Open Culture movement", Session 4 (for staff at the Voltaire Foundation)||25 February 2016||Bodleian|
|"History on Wikipedia" 20 minute presentation at HistoryLab seminar, Senate House, London (Storified reactions)||18 January 2016||Bodleian|
|"We are the world" 15 minute presentation at DIY Digitization conference held at the Bodleian Library, Oxford||08 January 2016||Bodleian|
|"How to Use Wikipedia" 20 minute presentation + questions, to University of Oxford social media group (around 50 staff)||25 November 2015||Bodleian|
|"Working with the Open Culture movement", Session 3 (for library staff), Oxford University||19 November 2015||Bodleian|
|"Some attempts to address bias on Wikipedia" Seminar for researchers and postgrads at the Oxford Internet Institute||21 October 2015||Bodleian|
|"Working with the Open Culture movement", Session 2 (for museum staff), Oxford University||02 July 2015||Bodleian|
|"Working with the Open Culture movement", Session 1 (for library staff), Oxford University||6 May 2015||Bodleian|
|"This Is Not An Exercise" at Cybersalon on "Edupunk 2.0, the future of Digital Education", London||28 October 2014||Volunteer|
|The Wikimedia Ecosystem- where do you fit in? at Open Educational Resources conference 2014||29 April 2014||Volunteer|
|"Wikipedia: a platform for learners as producers", Jisc Digital Festival||11 March 2014||Jisc|
|"Wikimedia: linking research impact and open education", Coventry University||03 March 2014||Jisc|
|"Wikimedia: linking research impact and open education", Bath Spa University||23 January 2014||Jisc|
|"Wikimedia: linking research impact and open education", University of Newcastle||02 December 2013||Jisc|
|"Wikimedia: linking research impact and open education", University of Sheffield||14 November 2013||Jisc|
|"Wikimedia: linking research impact and open education", EduWiki Conference, Cardiff||01 November 2013||Jisc|
|"Wikimedia: linking research impact and open education", Oxford University||15 October 2013||Jisc|
|“The Wikipedia Education Program: open educational practice on a global scale” at Open Educational Resources conference 2013 (video)||27 March 2013||Volunteer|
|Two workshops on “The future of Wikimedia and Higher Education” for “Changing the Learning Landscape” Strategy Implementation Programme course||21 February 2013||Volunteer|
|"Wikimedia and Higher Education" seminar at Beyond Distance Research Alliance, University of Leicester||18 June 2012||Volunteer|
|Presentation to PVCs and other senior staff at University of Hertfordshire (joint with Roger Bamkin),||25 April 2012||Volunteer|
|“Wikimedia: Elitism for the masses” seminar, IDeoGRAMs group, University of Leicester||29 February 2012||Volunteer|
|“Sausages and Scholarship: the role of openness in digital literacy” at ESRC Research Seminar on "Digital Policy: Connectivity, Creativity and Rights"||18 November 2011||Volunteer|
|“Wikimedia and public engagement for scientists” at meeting of the Biology Online Media Group||05 December 2011||Volunteer|
|“Common pitfalls in engaging with Wikipedia” at Bathcamp #26 "The Spirit of Openness", the University of Bath||05 October 2011||Volunteer|
|“Wikipedia and Higher Education: beat them or join them?” at Open Educational Resources conference 2011||11 May 2011||Volunteer|
|“How to avoid common pitfalls and interact with others” at Cancer Research UK Wikipedia event||31 January 2011||Volunteer|
|Presentations to Wikimedia conferences|
|(with Liz McCarthy) "Wikimedians In Residence in a university setting", Wikimedia Education Summit, Middlesex University||20 February 2017|
|"Wikimedia and Research Projects" (YouTube) lightning talk at the 2016 Annual General Meeting||09 July 2016|
|"Jisc Wikimedia Ambassador" at EduWiki Conference 2014, using ideas from Part 2 of the final report||31 October 2014|
|"Top down: making a country's education system Wikimedia-compatible." at Wikimania 2014||08 August 2014|
|"Building formal relationships with institutions and governments" at Wikimania 2013 Education Pre-conference in Hong Kong||07 August 2013|
|"Three Prongs of Outreach" at WikiConference 2013||08 June 2013|
|"Psychology on Wikipedia: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" at WikiConference 2011||16 April 2011|
|"Building a free, global knowledge base": talk at TEDx conference "Unity in Diversity" at University of Bath (Watch on YouTube)||24 March 2018|
|"Big, Little, and Vast Steps towards Open Education": 45 minute talk at Developments in Economics Education (DEE) Conference, London||07 September 2017|
|"Bias on Wikipedia": five minute talk at Oxford Geek Night number 44||27 January 2016|
|"How Wikipedia Works: the computer made of meat" at LonCon3 (World Science Fiction Convention in London)||17 August 2014|
|"How Wikipedia Works": invited talk at staff meeting of Bristol Airport||17 October 2012|
My own site lists my other talks advocating free and open content and practice.
Training undertaken[edit | edit source]
- Via Wikimedia UK
|Training the Trainers refresher 2017||Wikimedia UK + consultants||16 July 2017|
|Train the Trainers refresher 2014||Midas Consulting||29 June 2014|
|Wikidata training||User:Addshore||28 September 2013|
|Media training||John Rockley||1 December 2012|
|Training for Trainers||Midas Consulting||9-10 June 2012|
|Campus Ambassador training||Alex Stinson||18 June 2011|
|Board Strategy day (training on working together as a team and on strategic planning)||Midas Consulting||11 June 2011|
- Relevant training from elsewhere
|Communication skills (one-day workshop)||VOX Coaching||15 July 2014|
|Planning and Evaluating Effective Practice e-Learning (one-day workshop)||Jisc/ HE Academy||26 October 2005|
|Active learning (two half-day workshops)||Trevor Habeshaw||5, 19 October 2000|
Activity log[edit | edit source]
- 25 October: Begin work as Wikimedian In Residence at the University of Oxford. See separate activity log and project page on Wikipedia.
- 14 September: Gave 90 minute talk/demo on "Human Civilization in a Subroutine" at XML Summer School Oxford, focusing on Wikisource export tool, various Wikidata visualisation tools, and the Wikidata Query Service.
- 8 September: Gave 20 minute talk and separate discussion session (billed as a panel discussion, but other speaker left so it was just me!) for National Heritage Science Forum event on Open Science
- 1 September: Preparing slides for XML Summer School
- 1-2 August: Attending Repository Fringe at the University of Edinburgh to give a keynote presentation and to help with the Wikisource training event. The keynote presentation spawned three videos (edited by Ewan McAndrew) Full presentation; The value of Histropedia; Question about libraries and Wikipedia;
- 26 July: Interviewed for an hour by George Cooban of UCL for his dissertation on the relationships between Wikimedia and archives
- 25 July: Preparing presentation for Repository Fringe
- 19 July: Attended Course Leaders' Meeting at WMUK offices
- 9 July: Attended 2016 AGM and gave a lightning talk about working with research projects in universities
- July: Wrote book chapter "Bringing the Crowd into the Library" for book on DIY Digitization
- 30 June: Worked on a briefing document for special collections librarians.
- 14 June: Delivered UWE Wikipedia event
- 9 June: Wrote up meeting with Prof Lock
- 8 June: Visited Prof Gary Lock at University of Oxford to discuss the Atlas of Hillforts Project
- June: rewrote project proposal for Oxford, after feedback from the Innovation Committee
- 21 May: Attended Wikimedia UK Education meeting in Leicester
- 14 May: Took part remotely in UK EU Wikipedia editathon
- May: wrote project proposal for University of Oxford Wikimedian In Residence
- 21 April: Stayed in Edinburgh for a two-and-a-half-hour meeting with Ewan McAndrew sharing tips for working as a Wikimedian within a university.
- 19-20 April: Attended OER16 in Edinburgh, giving two presentations and taking part in "Ask a Wikimedian".
- 17 April: Preparing presentation for conference.
- 7 April: Took part remotely in Partnership Advisory Group meeting to discuss strategy
- April: writing final report on Bodleian residency
- 31 March: Official end of contract as Wikimedian In Residence at the Bodleian Libraries
- 29 January: "Economics on Wikipedia", written for my job at the Economics Network, goes online.
- 16 January: Interviewed by Sky News about Wikipedia's birthday.
- 13 January: Interviewed by ITV regional news about Wikipedia's birthday.
- 30 November: Writing and submitting session proposal to the Open Educational Resources conference (OER16)
- 2 November: attend (most of, via Skype) a Board advisory group meeting
- 31 October: take part in meeting with Midas Consulting about developing training modules, at the WMUK office
- 19 August: interviewed by Nature about the science conference
- 31 July: nagging more contacts about the science conference: finishing blog post that will go online as Wikipedia and Science: a round-up
- 16 July: attending Higher Education Academy focus group on Open Educational Resources hosted at the University of the West of England. Urged that academia learn from the success of Wikipedia in its promotion of open educational practices.
- 29 June and ongoing: publicity blast for science conference: mailing to lots of contacts
- 9 June: correspondence with the keynote speakers for the science conference
- 30 May: adding conference programme to wiki; writing speaker guidance
- 26 May: fixing booking form & further correspondence for science conference
- 25 May: working on poster for science conference
- 24 May: writing draft blog post for science conference
- 16 May: correspondence related to science conference
- 9 May: Day of correspondence and planning related to the Wikipedia Science Conference.
- 22 April: Interviewed by Sky News about sockpuppets for video item about Grant Shapps' editing.
- 1 April: Begin work as Wikimedian In Residence at the Bodleian Libraries. See separate activity log and project page for details.
- Ongoing February/March: correspondence relating to Wikipedia Science Conference, including call for proposals.
- 16 February: audio meeting with Karen Colbron of Jisc
- 12 February: correspondence relating to Wikipedia Science Conference and Jisc/Spotlight on the Digital project
- 11 February: correspondence relating to Wikipedia Science Conference and Jisc/Spotlight on the Digital project
- 17 December: Guest post, "Wikibooks version of Open Education Handbook" published on the Open Education Working Group blog
- 11 December: Took part in Open Knowledge Community Session (on Google Hangouts) to talk about Wikibooks. Wrote notes which became a blog post.
- 26 November: Helping out at "Crowdsourcing Found Poetry" session of Science Museum Late
- 19 November: Audio meeting about Science Museum Late
- 14 November: Various activities to follow-up on, and document, the previous day's editathon.
- 13 November: Led a full-day training event/editathon Wikipedia at NIMR
- 31 October: Attend EduWiki Conference 2014. Presented in plenary session on what I learned as a Jisc Wikimedian Ambassador. Helped Toni Sant deliver half-day workshop for potential campus ambassadors.
- 28 October: Travel to London: speak at Cybersalon on "This Is Not An Exercise: Wikipedia belongs in education" (ten minute presentation, plus questions, plus panel appearance) (watch on YouTube)
- 20 October: Finishing blog post for Open Access Week; goes online 4 days later as "Using Wikipedia to open up science"; Recommending individuals for science conference reception
- 16 October: Working on blog post for Open Access Week
- 14 October: Trip to London to visit Wellcome Trust for meeting about Wikipedia Science Conference, spending afternoon at WMUK offices.
- 7 October: Skype meeting with Peter Findlay, talking about strategies for resource sharing, relevant to Peter's upcoming conference presentation and other projects.
- 6 October: Arranging talk at EDUPUNK Cybersalon / Follow-up meeting with one of the attendees of the London campus ambassador training event.
- 5 October: Creating page for NIMR event
- 22 September: Some work related to EduWiki 2014
- 19 September: Setting up NIMR event
- 15-16 September: Writing first draft of article for The Conversation about Campus Ambassadors / more correspondence about science conference
- 12 September: Attended Campus Ambassadors workshop in London. Followed up a few queries with personal emails.
- 8 September: More correspondence related to the Wikipedia Science Conference
- 29 August: Wrote proposal for a Wikimedia Science conference. Twitter discussion of the proposal continued late into the night. Some improvements to the Wikipedians in Residence page. Wrote report on World Science Fiction Convention.
- 17 August: Gave 45-min talk/discussion "How Wikipedia Works: the computer made of meat" at LonCon3 in London.
- 16 August: Preparing talk for LonCon3
- 7-10 August: Attended Wikimania 2014, London. Prepared and delivered presentation "Top down: making a country's education system Wikimedia-compatible."
- 17 July: Finished up write-up of OER14 (published on WMUK blog) and wrote session description for Loncon 3
- 29 June: Took part in Train the Trainers refresher 2014
- 13 June: Making four nominations for Wikimedian of the Year, in different categories.
- 28-29 April: Attended Open Educational Resources conference (OER14) in Newcastle, with financial support from Wikimedia UK.
- 25 April: Preparing slides and materials for Open Educational Resources conference.
- 23 April Formal end of Jisc Wikimedia Ambassador role, but work continuing in a volunteer capacity
- 30 March: wrote another session proposal for Wikimania 2014
- 29 March: Writing session proposal for Wikimania 2014
- 10 March: correspondence with local British Science Association contact about possibility of a local science-themed editathon.
- 2 February: Took part as an observer in the second day of Training_the_Trainers/February_2014_event
- 16 December: Morning meeting with Dan Brickley, schema.org, in Google offices, London. Discussed scope of Wikipedia and Wikidata.
- 11 December: Lunchtime meeting with Zak Mensah, Bristol City Museums
- 10 December: Visit to Wikimedia UK office for Christmas party. Saw lots of great Wikipedians, staff and partners, and had lots of fun.
- 3 December: Visit to North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers graciously hosted by Robert Forsythe
- 24 October: Submitted proposal for Wikimedia workshop at OER 14 conference. Wrote Wikimania 2013 report.
- 17 October: Took part remotely in Ada Lovelace Day editathon at Conway Hall, although was still logged in to my User:MartinPoulter Jisc account.
- 4 September: Interviewed for The Signpost's report about Wikiproject Psychology. Mentioned external outreach activity and educational assignments.
- 2 September: Phone meeting with NHS Bristol contact about medical outreach
- 7-12 July: attended Wikimania 2013, Hong Kong. Gave a session on "Building formal relationships with institutions and goverments" as part of the Education Program workshop.
- 28 July: One of eight attendees at Bristol Wikimeet, along with BRO contact
- 25/26 July: took part remotely in NIMR Women in Science editathon
- 25 July: Meeting at Bristol Records Office about possible backstage pass event/ editathon
- 13 July: Improvements to Expert outreach index.
- Begin Jisc Wikimedia Ambassador role
- During this time I will record my activity as a Wikimedia UK volunteer on this page, and my activity for the Jisc project on User:MartinPoulter_Jisc
- 8 June: Plenary talk on "Three Prongs of Outreach" at Wikiconference 2013, Lincoln Slides available on Commons Video on Youtube. Video forthcoming on Commons.
- 28 May: Education Committee audio meeting
- 16 April: Education Committee audio meeting
- 11 April: meeting with Toni Sant in Bristol
- 10 April: leading British Psychological Society workshop
- 29 March: writing blog post about the OER 13 conference, which went online 4th April
- 26-27 March: presenting and running a stall at Open Educational Resources conference 2013, Nottingham
- 23 March: Attended open day, including jointly delivering the Education workshop with Toni Sant
- 22 March: Visiting the office to take part in Toni Sant's induction
- 11 March: Working on a post about education for the Wikimedia UK blog, published as Learning and Teaching in the age of Wikipedia
- 4 March: Writing a short piece for The Psychologist magazine about British Psychological Society outreach.
- 27 February: Writing a post about open access to research for the Wikimedia UK blog, later published as Researchers: are you Wikipedia-compatible?
- 22 February: Spent day at the office to be on the interview panel for Education Officer.
- 21 February: Delivered a one-hour presentation/workshop, twice, about "The future of Wikimedia and Higher Education" at Changing the Learning Landscape Strategy Implementation Programme event, Bristol. Slides available on Commons
- 18 February: Preparing for forthcoming workshop
- 30 January: Education Committee audioconference
- 28 January: Created an outline of a Campus Ambassador training workshop and worked on Training strategy
- January: heard through Twitter about a conference session where medical practitioners' use of Wikipedia was discussed. Tracked down the email of the session chair and, through her, got in touch with the presenter. Drew attention to our existing blog posts about this topic and asked if she had any findings to share. It turned out the question about Wikipedia was just one element in a broader survey about social media, and the findings weren't particularly surprising, so left it there.
- 4 December: Delivered 2 "Knowledge cafe" sessions on behalf of Wikimedia UK at the NIACE/ BBC Digital Learning Conference, Salford
- 1 December: Attended media training event at the WMUK office.
- 17/18 November: Attended both days of the Board meeting in London.
- 24 October: Took part in Digital Disruption Summit in London to talk about Wikimedia's role in promoting digital literacy.
- 19 October: Took part in Ada Lovelace Day editathon remotely
- 19 October: Guest post for Wikimedia UK blog goes online: Bringing evidence-based medicine to the world
- 17 October: spoke at a staff meeting at Bristol Airport, describing Wikimedia and its mission. I thanked them for supporting Bristol's (ultimately unsuccessful) Wikimania bid. I explained that Wikimedia can't be used for advocacy, but they were already well aware of this. They told me that the Bristol Airport page in Wikipedia was "largely accurate" and they didn't have any problems with it. I said they could help Wikimedia's mission by uploading photos, and that releasing them under a Creative Commons licence so that they could be seen by lots of people usually made more sense than keeping total control. They seemed receptive to the idea, and I hope to keep in touch. Feedback from the meeting organiser: "we really enjoyed having an external speaker and it was really good for us to learn so much. Personally I didn’t know quite how Wiki worked before Wednesday."
- 8 October: led JISC DI team training workshop in London
- 21 September: working on a guest post for a LSE blog, published on 5 October as Writing for Wikipedia has forced me into good scholarly habits and accessible writing
- 20 September: interview about Wikipedia in education published in Times Higher Education. Writing a post-conference email for EduWiki
- 14 September: wrote a Wikimedia blog post reflecting on EduWiki
- 8 September: Board strategy/planning meeting in Coventry
- 5-6 September: Chairing and speaking at the EduWiki Conference 2012 in Leicester
- 4 September: meeting with NIACE in Leicester about Wikimedia in adult and community education
- 31 August: Helping out at Coventry medical Wiki workshop
- 17 August: visit to WMUK office for education brochure mailout
- 22 June-5 September: various publicity for EduWiki conference
- 20 June: Phone meeting with WMUK staff about education outreach.
- 18 June: Spoke at Research in Learning Innovation seminar on "Wikimedia and Higher Education" at Beyond Distance Research Alliance, University of Leicester. (Storify)
- 12 June: Wrote up Wikimedia for schools workshop
- 11 June: Phone meeting with consultant about trainer accreditation
- 11 June: Met with someone from JISC Digital Media to discuss the Digipedia project and what lessons can be learned from Wikipedia about encouraging community contributions.
- 9-10 June: Took part in the Train the Trainers event.
- 12 May: Attended Wikiconference 2012 and AGM. Left board.
- 5-6 May: Emailing lots of education contacts about the conference and new mailing list
- 4 May: Audioconference with Jon and Harry about Train-the-trainers
- 28/29 April: more planning and writing for education outreach: Draft education strategy put online
- 25 April: joint presentation with Roger Bamkin to senior staff at University of Hertfordshire
- 24 April: spoke to a small group of early-career scientists at the University of Bristol about Wikipedia for outreach
- 23 April: Long-term planning. Various emails and education stuff write-up, incl. /Education staff proposal
- 21-22 April: Board meeting in Monmouth
- 14 April: working on Annual Report and other Board matters; writing blog post about doctors' use of Wikipedia; first go at blog post about Academic Spring.
- 10 April: writing up education strategy; education section of Annual Report
- 9 April: Bristol Open Geodata Consortium is now a thing. Email about Trainer Training event.
- 27 March: Board meeting (audioconference)
- 17 March: Stall at Association of Humanist Students National Convention, London
- 5 March: Delivered a solo half-day workshop to 12 staff at Science Learning Centre South West
- 29 February: Presented at IDeoGRAMS seminar, University of Leicester, on "Wikipedia: Elitism for the Masses"
- 11 and 12 February: Board meeting, London
- 10 February: Working on education strategy
- 9 February: Meeting a software developer in Bristol about geodata, along with SV.
- 4 February: further work on Trainer training
- 2 February: Organising Geological Society workshop for March.
- Investigating possibility of involvement in Bath Digital Festival, late March.
- 27 January: Training session for Oxford graduate students for the Free Speech Debate project, improving Wikipedia's Freedom of speech article in 13 languages
- 26 January: Board audioconference
- 24 January: Board audioconference
- 22 January: campus ambassador meeting, Imperial College
- 19 January: trip to Oxford to meet Free Speech project participants
- 18 January: interviewed by BBC Radio Wales in the early morning, about enwiki blackout
- 15 January: Delivering training at Bristol Girl Geeks Wikipedia event
- 4-11 January: creating more pages about training: Trainer training, For trainers, Basic Commons training, Improving Wikipedia training, Training preparation email, Evaluation of training, draft observation form, Training, Student societies
- 3 January: Starting to wikify training documents: Basic Wikipedia training. Evening: Board meeting
- 2 January: Day catching up on email + phone meeting with Fae.
- 5 December: Speaking at Social Media Lunch for scholarly societies, hosted by the Institute of Physics in London (15 min talk followed by discussion) Slides: "Wikimedia and public engagement for scientists"
- 1 December: Meeting with British Psychological Society/ History of Psychology Archive/ Wellcome Library in Manchester
- 19/20 November: Board away weekend
- 18 November: speaking at ESRC Research Seminar on "Digital Policy: Connectivity, Creativity and Rights", Leicester University (15 min. talk followed by discussion). Dinner in London in the evening. /Sausages and Scholarship (slides and summary)
- 16 November: Finishing up researcher brochure draft and sharing on-wiki
- 13 November: More work on researcher brochure
- 12 November: Writing up outline proposal for a geodata project focused on Bristol
- 7 November: afternoon in Bristol with Jon Davies and Steve Virgin; internal discussions and meetings with local partners
- 5-6 November: working on brochure for researchers
- 4 November: one-hour meeting with a researcher for a University of Bristol/ University of Cardiff project on crowdsourcing. Explained how Wikimedia projects can benefit arts and humanities researchers
- 3 November: 25 minute interview on BBC Radio Bristol and BBC Radio Somerset on Wikimedia and other topics
- 16 October: Attending EGM_2011 in London
- 11 October: Board meeting
- 11 October: Project wrap-up meetings with ARKive and University of Bristol
- 5 October: Speaking on "Common pitfalls in engaging with Wikipedia" (slides) at Bathcamp, the Innovation Centre, Bath Storify of tweets from the session
- 29 September: Meeting At-Bristol staff (with SV)
- 15 September: Wiki Wildlife Bristol
- 12 September: Board audioconference re CE recruitment and Charity application
- 11 September: London Wikimeet and meeting Chief Executive candidates
- 8 September: Meeting with ARKive about Wiki Wildlife Bristol
- 1 September: Institute of Physics Workshop
- 27-28 August: Board meeting
- 18 August: Wikimedia Girl Geek Dinner
- 3 August: another round of edits to Physics World article
- 2 August: meeting ARKive about collaboration project, then lunchtime meeting about media opportunities
- 1 August: meeting Centre for Public Engagement at University of Bristol
- 25 July: Board meeting
- 20 July: Meeting with contact from Arts & Humanities Research Council
- 19 July: edits to press release about Bristol placements
- Weekly from 19 July: Meetings with Sam Knight (University of Bristol Outreach Ambassador)
- 17 July: Finishing & submitting first draft of Physics World article
- 15 July: First attempt at feature article for Physics World
- 7-10 July: attending Wikipedia in Higher Education Summit
- 4 July: Bristol Wiki Academy 2
- 3 July: Filing expenses for self and others, adding blog post to blog, preparing for workshop tomorrow.
- 1 July: Medical Research Council Workshop in London and subsequent write-up
- 28 June: Preparing for MRC Workshop + Meeting with Pigsonthewing and ARKive
- 25 June: Writing blog post about Wikipedia and librarianship
- 23 June: Preparing press release for Medical Research Council Workshop
- 23 June: Preparing 2 slides for pre-sessional Bristol students on use & evaluation of Wikipedia
- 22 June: Interviews for University of Bristol Outreach Ambassador
- 21 June: Presented at meeting of Subject Librarians at the University of Bristol
- 18 June: Attended Campus Ambassador training at Imperial College, London
- 15 June: With Steve Virgin, met with teachers in a local school
- 11/12 June: Board strategy day (Saturday), meeting and Birmingham Wikimeet (Sunday)
- 8 June: Got University of Bristol to put up news item about Ambassador post.
- 6 June: Phone meeting with BPS contact
- 3 June: Worked with Phil Barker of JISC CETIS to create "Wikimedia Commons for UKOER resources", a guide for projects releasing open educational resources in UK Higher Education
- 2 June: WMUK Blog post, Six unorthodox ways to use Wikipedia
- 2 June: Meeting with SETSquared
- 2 June: Phone meeting about BOB lectures
- Contributed to Reports/2011/May
- 19 May: With Steve Virgin, met with University of Bristol partner to design Wikimedia Outreach Ambassador post.
- 11 May: Presented at the Open Educational Resources conference#2011 on "Wikipedia and Higher Education: Beat them or Join them?" (slides PDF)
- 9 May: Audioconference with Institute of Physics
- 30 April: Online meeting about Ambassador programme
- 29 April: Online meeting about application for charitable status
- 28 April: With Steve Virgin, met with a potential partner organisation to write and present a Memorandum of Understanding
- 20 April: Met with Watershed Media Centre about content sharing
- 19 April: Interviewed by TheNextWeb, published the next day as "Wikimedia UK to Hire Full-Time Staff, Aims to Increase Content Quality on Wikipedia"
- 16 April: Presented on /Psychology on Wikipedia 2011 at Annual Conference 2011. Joined board.
- 5 April: Presented at plenary session of Scottish Economics Society on "Bringing remix culture to Economics." Made positive mentions of Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and the Wikimedia community.
- March: Designed promotional image for Annual Conference 2011.
- 31 March: Interviewed by The Times about Cancer Research UK Workshop. Published on 4 April on page 14.
- 28 March: One of the Wikipedia guides at Cancer Research UK Workshop
- 19 March: Co-hosted and co-organised Bristol Wiki Academy 1 at the University of Bristol. Five minute interview in the morning for BBC Radio Bristol
- 14 March: Met with a manager of an image archive to discuss possible content partnership
- 23 February: Attended Digital Humanities workshop at University of Bristol to meet archivists.
- 31 January: Brief presentation at Cancer Research UK Workshop
- Other meetings with local partners, in conjunction with Steve V.